The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

rdobbie

WillPS wrote: Wed 06 Mar, 2019 18.55
rdobbie wrote: Wed 06 Mar, 2019 12.37
thegeek wrote: Mon 04 Mar, 2019 20.44The latter is a bit of a moot point, as Esso are switching to Nectar in June.
Thanks, I wasn't aware of this.

I see that it also means the end of the very long relationship between BP and Nectar (the BP logo appeared on the front of the first generation of Nectar cards).

The link between collecting points at BP and spending them at Argos goes back even further, with Premier Points being Nectar's predecessor.
Premier Points continued for a few years after BP left: https://www.argos.co.uk/static/StaticDi ... Points.htm

Somerfield was the other partner, but had already gone by the time Nectar showed up in 2002. I seem to recall Somerfield couldn't add points directly to your Premier Points card, so they'd give you little vouchers which you had to go to a separate machine to get added to your account. Was BP the same?

Surely this stopped access to a lot of the insights that make a loyalty scheme worthwhile...?
Wow, I'd forgotten about Somerfield's involvement.

The acorn moment of Nectar was when Premier Points launched in 1991 between Argos and Mobil petrol stations. BP later acquired the Mobil fuel retailing brand and assets in the UK.

It must have been one of the very earliest card-based loyalty schemes.

Pete

Tick when full?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
bilky asko

Pete wrote: Thu 07 Mar, 2019 11.36Tick when full?
Going by the advert above, a card was considered full when it had £5 worth of points on. A handy way, I presume, to keep track of the multiple cards you needed to collect to buy that Casio watch entirely with those cards.
WillPS

I can't understand how that system was any more valuable or convenient than Green Shield stamps!
WillPS

Pete wrote: Wed 06 Mar, 2019 20.04 So if you go to a Tesco Express with an Esso, you'll get Nectar?
It won't happen. Just like Co-op Esso stations didn't/don't take Clubcard.

Tesco Esso stations already have different earning arrangements to other Esso garages (2 points per £3 as opposed to 2 points per 3 litres) due to the fact they use Tesco POS equipment. If they couldn't/wouldn't modify their tills to harmonise with the rest of the Esso network, I very much doubt they will add a loyalty scheme managed by their main rival.
WillPS

MarkAshley wrote: Thu 07 Mar, 2019 23.04
WillPS wrote: Thu 07 Mar, 2019 21.59 a loyalty scheme managed by their main rival.
Amazon Fresh doesn't have a loyalty scheme.
They don't, but if they did I'm pretty sure Tesco wouldn't support that either.
thegeek

It's probably a little-known fact that you can buy lottery tickets from supermarket checkouts. I noticed today that they're now selling them at Asda self-checkouts:

I presume it would then require an age check. And I'm glad I didn't give it a go here, as the machine appeared to be out of till roll (though didn't seem to know it.) I wonder if it would have been able to print a duplicate in such circumstances?
gottago

Aldi have launched their own 'local' brand although rather than a move into convienience stores this is merely a trial at rebranding their smaller city stores that have less of their range. This could be the start of Aldi finally opening up across London, they've been seriously lagging behind Lidl in terms of presence on the London surburban high streets.

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/20 ... um=ios_app
Pete

gottago wrote: Sat 23 Mar, 2019 17.44 Aldi have launched their own 'local' brand although rather than a move into convienience stores this is merely a trial at rebranding their smaller city stores that have less of their range. This could be the start of Aldi finally opening up across London, they've been seriously lagging behind Lidl in terms of presence on the London surburban high streets.

My nearest Lidl is a converted Kwik Save rather than a new build. It doesn't have the "middle of lidl" aisle but still has the adverts for the stuff and the leaflets. You have to go to the one of the other two to get said items. Wonder if they'll follow suit with a similar concept.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
bilky asko

Pete wrote: Sat 23 Mar, 2019 18.29
gottago wrote: Sat 23 Mar, 2019 17.44 Aldi have launched their own 'local' brand although rather than a move into convienience stores this is merely a trial at rebranding their smaller city stores that have less of their range. This could be the start of Aldi finally opening up across London, they've been seriously lagging behind Lidl in terms of presence on the London surburban high streets.

My nearest Lidl is a converted Kwik Save rather than a new build. It doesn't have the "middle of lidl" aisle but still has the adverts for the stuff and the leaflets. You have to go to the one of the other two to get said items. Wonder if they'll follow suit with a similar concept.
It has to be Little Lidl if they do.
gottago

Pete wrote: Sat 23 Mar, 2019 18.29

There’s quite a few like this in London including an absolutely tiny one in Tooting which is surely the smallest in the country. Three narrow aisles and a few basket and self service tills. Quite a lot missing from the food range as well.

https://goo.gl/maps/RHf8hYP874J2