The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

thegeek

Philip wrote: Fri 21 Jul, 2017 16.00 I've only just realised that the signage on the newly refurbished frontage for my store's bakery is all in the old font. So that's a bit unfortunate because now it will probably be there for years.
Our branch has just done the same. I'm not sure what the image printed on the wall is meant to represent either - it looks like cheap decking.

thegeek

Is there an easy way to tell? I'd never given it much thought. It's certainly got a reasonably big range, considering it's a smaller sized superstore.
Alexia

thegeek wrote: Mon 31 Jul, 2017 18.11 Is there an easy way to tell? I'd never given it much thought. It's certainly got a reasonably big range, considering it's a smaller sized superstore.
Keep an eye on how the bread comes out of the oven. In a tin - scratch. On a tray - parbaked.
Finn

News broke today that the Tesco Metro in Stretford, Manchester will be closing in December.

Not entirely surprised as a big Tesco Extra opened 4 or years ago only a couple of miles away (near Old Trafford Stadium but confusingly dubbed Tesco Extra Stretford). Also a large Aldi opened last year at the Mall where the Metro is and it's certainly had a knock-on effect on the Tesco as well.

http://www.messengernewspapers.co.uk/ne ... ford_Mall/
JAS84

Stretford, like the stadium's Stretford End? Not really that confusing at all I'd say.
Finn

JAS84 wrote: Sat 05 Aug, 2017 15.18 Stretford, like the stadium's Stretford End? Not really that confusing at all I'd say.
Tesco Extra Trafford or Tesco Extra Old Trafford would have made more sense, given its location.

And you do realise the Stretford End of Old Trafford football stadium is so named because it's the end nearest Stretford?
sqwidge1978

Neil DG wrote: Mon 07 Aug, 2017 20.29
JAS84 wrote: Sat 05 Aug, 2017 15.18 Stretford, like the stadium's Stretford End? Not really that confusing at all I'd say.
Tesco Extra Trafford or Tesco Extra Old Trafford would have made more sense, given its location.

And you do realise the Stretford End of Old Trafford football stadium is so named because it's the end nearest Stretford?
Actually all of the names are technically accurate as it is located

Old Trafford (an area of Stretford)
Stretford (a town within Trafford)
Trafford (a borough within Greater Manchester)
Andrew

Was that the weekly liquids only shop?
Alexia

At the risk of pointing out the bleeding obvious, as this is the first part of a possibly much longer list, when I do my shopping I place things on the conveyer belt together in groups so they get packed according to type of item. Big heavy bottles and other liquids first in this case to go in the big heavy hessian bag or box, followed by cool stuff to go in the sealable fridge bag, then delicate stuff (bread, eggs etc), then "bits", then finally "stuff to eat in the car on the way home".
Philip

Always put the meal deal last so you don't have to remember which part of which bag you put it in!

Incidentally whilst I'm on the subject, I went to M&S a few weeks ago and noticed they didn't have their £4 meal deal anymore. I've just come across this article which states they're introducing a new £3.50 meal deal instead: https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/stores/pric ... 67.article
all new Phil

Ahh yes, my unpacking-pork-pie always goes in last.