The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

Pete

I still maintain the new aisle signage is shit
"He has to be larger than bacon"
all new Phil

I hate the yellow aisle end signage (the "half price" and "£2" ones above) - up close you can see that they are just flimsy paper that looks to be stapled in place. The yellow continues to look cheap and nasty. Quite how they think that yellow aisle end units alongside quite nice wooden units for places like the bakery section looks acceptable, I've no idea.

Bizarrely, in my nearest big Tesco, the first part to become completely up to date branding-wise was the franchised-out car wash section of the car park. Nice new signage as well as branding on the gazebos that cover the parking spaces. It wasn't even remotely on-brand previously.
Philip

Dunno if anyone else has confirmed this, but when the new Clubcard design was posted here someone asked if it was contactless. This appears to be the case as I was in today and the till had a big sign for the new contactless Clubcard.
Andrew

Not a fan of the yellow end of aisle stuff, doen't look very Tesco in terms of colour. It also looks very tacky like something you'd see in Asda.
Ant

WillPS wrote: Thu 22 Jun, 2017 14.45 Also Pay at Pump has no obvious contactless hardware.
My new Clubcard arrived today and it mentioned in the leaflet that tapping and scanning at some Pay at Pumps won't be available until later in 2017, so the machines must be getting a hardware upgrade.

No idea if that'll bring Contactless technology to payments. I would assume not because of the £30 limit, and by the fact you have to put your PIN number in before filling up.
woah

Ant wrote: Tue 18 Jul, 2017 18.26
WillPS wrote: Thu 22 Jun, 2017 14.45 Also Pay at Pump has no obvious contactless hardware.
My new Clubcard arrived today and it mentioned in the leaflet that tapping and scanning at some Pay at Pumps won't be available until later in 2017, so the machines must be getting a hardware upgrade.

No idea if that'll bring Contactless technology to payments. I would assume not because of the £30 limit, and by the fact you have to put your PIN number in before filling up.
I think it's actually to do with the QR code that they're now using instead of the barcode, it seems the current ones can't scan QR codes. There are labels on the pay at pump terminals giving you alternative options until they upgrade the units - which are basically to either insert the full-sized Clubcard into the card reader, pay at the standard till or redeem the points at a till later.

The pay at pump terminals themselves are pretty new so I suspect they'll just get a new barcode reader.
Nick Harvey
God

I've never managed to get my current Clubcard to scan on a petrol pump. I wave it around in the little blue line and exactly nothing happens.

I always end up shoving it in the slot and letting it read the stripe instead.
cwathen

Philip wrote: Sat 27 May, 2017 21.55
Alexia wrote: Sat 27 May, 2017 20.37 For a clean and respray?
Well yes, that's what I presumed, that they took them down to clean them and put them back up. I was more surprised that they didn't take them down and replace them with a more modern version, presumably there is some reason they can't be replaced.
I wouldn't have thought it would be an issue changing the signage if they wanted to. The buildings on Broadmead are pretty unremarkable, there's no 'in keeping' to consider that I'm aware of (certainly not like the Tesco Metro in Exeter high street which has a custom black & white sign to comply with listed building status on the unit). Also on Broadmead many of the smaller units are let and relet on a fairly regular basis with no problems putting signeage up, other businesses have updated their signs with no issues either.

I'd imagine Tesco just can't be bothered to go through the planning permission to change them. The interior is much more modern though, so it has presumably been through at least one major refit without the signs being replaced then.
james2001

cwathen wrote: Thu 20 Jul, 2017 19.45I'd imagine Tesco just can't be bothered to go through the planning permission to change them. The interior is much more modern though, so it has presumably been through at least one major refit without the signs being replaced then.
That happened to the town centre Tesco here- it had a refit in the mid-90s, but it still had the original 70s signage on the outside right up until it closed in 2007.
Philip

I've only just realised that the signage on the newly refurbished frontage for my store's bakery is all in the old font. So that's a bit unfortunate because now it will probably be there for years.
james2001

Just ordered some travel money from Asda's website, and they had this wonderful version of the logo:

Oh, and the main Asda Money site still has the Wal-Mart sunburst on the logo.

Went past the Worksop Tesco yesterday, and it looks like it's been refurbished- new signs on the outside and the petrol station, gutted! I'd have liked to have got hold of some of the old signs and the cream and white lined border from the interior which will have inevitably gone into a skip. Wouldn't be suprised if it was the last store that still had it.