The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

WillPS

I still see occasional ones around which say "Beers, Wines & Spirits Closed" across them, most of them dating from when Sunday Trading was introduced but the stores did not yet have a license to sell alcohol on Sunday.
Pete

Tesco Riverside in Dundee was one of the last "bright walls" ones fitted before they went to the darker blue signage and cut back on the red.

It's had the new bakery style put in, although the printing on the faux brick is rather pixelated which ruins the effect somewhat.

It's currently having its lights swapped out for LED units, although it appears to require twice as many ceiling panels to be swapped out than the previous T5 bulbs needed.

For reference, this is a Tesco Extra but of early 1990s vintage. It has a normal height false ceiling and the staff areas upstairs rather than the more normal warehouse look.

Originally the non food was at the back of the store with the food front and foremost. It was swapped round during its (very) major refit in 2010 (old greasy spoon removed, all fridges replaced, car park relaid, each one of those metal ceiling panels replaced) so non-food was at the start although counters are at the correct place on the back wall rather than in a horrible square of misery as in the massive tesco. Interestingly in a smaller extra that was built in 2009ish with the travelators the counters are also at the back.

Anyhow I'm wondering when the rest of it is going to be done out. Aside from produce, self scan and bakery its very much still in the former mould. Certainly none of the John Lewis style displays in homeware and still a LOT of yellow shelving.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
bilky asko

Pear wrote: Fri 21 Apr, 2017 17.49
WillPS wrote: Fri 21 Apr, 2017 16.29 Fresh&Easy looked more like a current Tesco Metro store than that.

Looks brilliant, I hope they roll it out fairly quickly, my nearest Extra is now 7 years old and looks totally knackered - although that's clearly a local issue; Hull St. Stephens is of the same vintage and has an extremely similar layout and that store was very tidy (despite being absolutely heaving on the March Saturday evening I was there).
The St Stephens store has seen quite a few little refurbishments in that time though. One thing that's always baffled me about that store is that even though it opened 10 years ago, the retractable barrier things that are fitted into the walls of each 'department' (like the opticians and pharmacy) have the pre-1995 Tesco logo on. It's always strange to walk by them on nights or bank holidays when they're closed to see a long line of dated Tesco logos in what is a relatively modern store.
I think it's just a case of all the Tesco tensabarriers having the old logo on it - it has in every Tesco I've seen them at.

I must admit it's been a while since I've been to Tesco St. Stephen's - I must make the pilgrimage soon - but I always remember it was always well kept - with the exception of the toilets being in a permanent state of brokenness.

Speaking of LED lights, my nearest Tesco has just had its lights replaced with LED lights as well. There's not a noticeable improvement in brightness or light quality like there was at Morrisons though - which is probably in part down to the eco design of the store and the significant amount of natural light compared to Morrisons.

One thing I've always found mildly amusing is how the situation close to closing time is the reverse of a pub - as opposed to the house lights coming on, the lights fade down, at seemingly closer and closer to 9 o'clock, when they're getting ready to shut.
Philip

Was clearing out my dad's old paperwork and came across a letter from Tesco about a complaint he had raised when he found a paper clip in his Low Fat Yoghurt in 1996.

He got £8.00 credit in the form of vouchers. I felt like Metropol would be interested in this information.

More interestingly, it had the old Tesco logo in the letterhead, and amongst the contact information there was a telex number (24138 Tesco G)
WillPS

Philip wrote: Thu 25 May, 2017 20.58 Was clearing out my dad's old paperwork and came across a letter from Tesco about a complaint he had raised when he found a paper clip in his Low Fat Yoghurt in 1996.

He got £8.00 credit in the form of vouchers. I felt like Metropol would be interested in this information.

More interestingly, it had the old Tesco logo in the letterhead, and amongst the contact information there was a telex number (24138 Tesco G)
The current Tesco logo was only unveiled in 1995. I remember the store in Watton store opened not long after the new logo had started appearing on adverts but still had the previous logo. I was 6 years old though, so could be wrong.
Philip

This has now sent me down a path of Tesco logo geekery.

Firstly, I'm amazed the current logo has lasted so long and hasn't changed, I think it's aged very well - though I imagine the surrounding brand elements and packaging from that time look quite old now.

Secondly, there's a Tesco Metro in Bristol that still has 1987 era signage: long link so click here

Interestingly, the street view imagery from June 2016 appears to show the 'Metro' sign taken down, but the most recent imagery from October 2016 has it up again. Is the building listed or something so they can't change the signage?
WillPS

Philip wrote: Fri 26 May, 2017 15.20 This has now sent me down a path of Tesco logo geekery.

Firstly, I'm amazed the current logo has lasted so long and hasn't changed, I think it's aged very well - though I imagine the surrounding brand elements and packaging from that time look quite old now.

Secondly, there's a Tesco Metro in Bristol that still has 1987 era signage: long link so click here

Interestingly, the street view imagery from June 2016 appears to show the 'Metro' sign taken down, but the most recent imagery from October 2016 has it up again. Is the building listed or something so they can't change the signage?
The 'Metro' signage disappeared from the Nottingham Victoria Centre branch around the same time, only to reappear a shortwhile later.

I have no idea what that was about.
Alexia

For a clean and respray?
Philip

Alexia wrote: Sat 27 May, 2017 20.37 For a clean and respray?
Well yes, that's what I presumed, that they took them down to clean them and put them back up. I was more surprised that they didn't take them down and replace them with a more modern version, presumably there is some reason they can't be replaced.
Martin Phillp

TVF's London Lite.
ph2o

Tesco have been rolling out their new look featuring the new Tesco font. Really liking it. Looks sharp. Even the stores are looking better inc. Tesco Express seems more upmarket with dark flooring and black shelving. Tesco Clubcard will be relaunching soon with the new look. Let us know what you think. Check out the photos below -

New signage in Tesco stores -

Instore -

Tesco Express stores -

Tesco Clubcard -

What does everyone think?