The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

jonathan

JAS84 wrote:
Martin Phillp wrote:Grabbed from the Fail Online, the products affected.

Food and beverages:

Alsa, Amino, Amora, Annapurna, Aromat, Becel, Ben & Jerry's, Best Foods, Bertolli, Blue Band, Bovril, Breyers, Brooke Bond, Bru, Brummel & Brown, Buavita, Bushell's, Calvé, Chicken Tonight, Choysa, Colman's, Conimex, Continental, Country Crock, Darko, Delma, Du Darfst, Elmlea, Fanacoa, Flora, Fruco, Fudgsicle, Grom, Heartbrand, Hellmann's, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, Imperial Margarine, Jif, Joko, Kasia, Kecap Bango, Kissan, Klondike, Knorr, Lady's Choice, Lan-Choo, Lao Cai, Lipton, Lipton Ice Tea, Lizano Sauce, Lyons, Maille, Maizena, Marmite, McCollins, Motions, Mrs. Filbert's, Paddle pop, Pfanni, PG Tips, Phase, Planta, Popsicle, Pot Noodle, Promise, Rama, Rani, Red Rose Tea, Robertsons, Royco, Saga, Sana, Sariwangi, Scottish Blend, Sealtest, Slotts, Stork, Streets, Sunce, T2, Telma, Tortex, Tulipan, Turun sinappi, Unilever Food Solutions, Unox, Vaqueiro

Home and personal care:

All, Ala, Andrelon, Aviance Cosmetics, Axe, Ayush, Baba, Badedas, Biotex, Block & White, Breeze, Brilhante, Brisk, Brylcreem, Caress, Cif, Citra, Clear, Clinic, Close-Up, Coccolino, Comfort, Cream Silk, Degree, DERO, Dimension, Dollar Shave Club, Domestos, Dove, Dove Spa, Dusch Das, Elidor, Eskinol, Fair & Lovely, FDS, Gessy, Glorix, Good Morning, Impulse, Ioma, Lakmé, Lever 2000, Lifebuoy, Linic, Lux, Lynx, Lysoform, Master, Matey, Minerva, Mist, Neutral, Noxzema, Omo, Origins, Organics, Pears Transparent Soap, Pepsodent, Persil, Pond's, Prodent, Quix, Q-Tips, Radox, Rexona, Rinso, Robijn, Sedal, Shield, Signal, Simple, Skip, SR, St Ives, Suave, Sun, Sunlight, Sunsilk, Sure deodorant, Surf, Swan Soap, Thermasilk, Tholl, TIGI, Timotei, Toni & Guy, TRESemmé, Ultrex, Vaseline, Vibrance, Vim, Vinólia, Viso, Wheel, White Beauty, Williams, VO5, Xedex, zendium, Zhonghua, Zwitsal
A lot of big name brands there. They'll be losing a lot of trade there...

...and I wonder, when buying online, will they correctly substitute the items? I can imagine someone trying to order a tub of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, and being sent butter instead of a different margarine brand. Or trying to buy a jar of Chicken Tonight and ending up with an actual chicken.
The items are unavailable online at the moment. I imagine most orders already placed will be fulfilled.
robschneider

james2001 wrote:Brexiters like to put their fingers in their ears and pretend that there's no negative effects from it whatsoever.

The pound's fallen nearly 20% as a direct result of the Brexit vote and Theresa May's talk of forcing hard brexit though. What did you think would happen after such a steep fall? Nothing? Or are you denying the pound's fall has nothing to do with the brexit thing?

Are Brexiters going to stay in denial when it's announced our energy bills are being hiked as well?

All stuff we were warned about before the vote, but brexiters just shouted "project fear".
TV Forum was down the other way. Was that Brexit as well?

Project Fear is alive and well. The pound has only fallen because of doom-mongerers predicting armageddon. If people accepted the truth that this is the best thing we could do for Britain right now none of this would happen.

My head is not in the sand but the effects of Brexit are unnessecary.
all new Phil

The pound has ONLY fallen because of doom-mongerers predicting armageddon? Really?

We are in a period of uncertainty. The government is playing its cards close to its chest / doesn't have a clue what to do now * and that affects confidence in our economy. It may be a temporary glitch, or it may be the start of something even worse, however I'm not convinced that the sunny outlook that you think everybody should display is necessarily going to stop it from happening.

* delete according to your political leanings
james2001

Brexit will be nice, bright, shiny and happy. Nothing bad will happen, the economy will flourish, other countries will rush to trade with us, Britain will produce enough by itself so we don't have to rely on imports, the pound will soar, prices will drop, St. Farage will be knighted and get a public holiday in his honour for the wonders he's done and those pesky foreigners will be sent home.

Meanwhile in the real world....
WillPS

robschneider wrote: My head is not in the sand but the effects of Brexit are unnessecary.
...exactly!
Jamesypoo

robschneider wrote:Project Fear is alive and well.
I detest that Brexiteers have all joined on to this Vote Leave bandwagon slogan. The most fear-inducing thing I remember from the whole campaign was this disgrace of a poster from UKIP:

If that isn't fear-mongering I don't know what is.

These economic issues we're starting to see are not simply because "Remoaners" aren't being particularly chipper about the result. To suggest so is pure lunacy.

There is economic instability because there is political uncertainty, not only in the UK but around the world. Big businesses are unsure about what the future holds and the markets show us that. It's true a lot of economic experts predicted this would happen - but that's not why it's happened!

As a result of that vote and the ensuing political and economic instability, sterling has fallen resulting in tighter margins and higher costs for manufacturers. This Unilever blip happened solely due to the vote to leave the EU.
james2001

But that poster's only telling us the truth... apparently

My grandfather was someone who came over here in the 1940s partly to get away from discrimination (quite horrible discrimination at that) in his home country, and was welcomed here (as well as a mixed-race person in mid-20th century Britain could expect to be welcomed anyway). So I dread to think how he'd feel if he was still alive to see what this country's degenerated into recently.
gottago

The previously horrible Iceland Clapham has become a concept store, and a very nice one indeed. A hell of a lot more fresh food than you'd normally get from Iceland, quite a sizeable wine selection and even a £37 bottle of champagne in the fridge which felt like a sea change from the "good bottle of red" they were trying out on that doc a few years ago. I was expecting them to go more down the Lidl route but the fittings and fancy fridges felt more like Waitrose than anything. There's a coffee machine now as well.
Martin Phillp

A shame Iceland East Dulwich closed as the Iceland concept store may have kept them in the area, which like Clapham has become gentrified.

M&S Foodhall replaced Iceland incidentally.
TVF's London Lite.
Philip

M&S Food: one step below Waitrose, but one step above Tesco, Asda, Sainsburys et al.
woah

It's about time they started moving the store design in the direction their advertisements and branding have. Until very recently they were still fitting stores out with dreary beige panels everywhere. Lidl/Aldi are equally guilty of this - cheap does not have to mean boring or ugly.