The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

dosxuk

Where is the yeast coming from for the brewing? It's not like Marmite workers rummage through the bins at the brewery, so it wont be free. Then there's the other ingredients...
Today, the main ingredients of Marmite manufactured in the UK are glutamic acid-rich yeast extract, with lesser quantities of sodium chloride, vegetable extract, niacin, thiamine, spice extracts, riboflavin, folic acid and celery extracts, although the precise composition is a trade secret.
A LOT of the food we import into this country isn't competed products for the shelves, it's components for the products that are made in the UK. It's a multinational industry, that isn't priced in pounds.

And what about the jars?
bilky asko

dosxuk wrote:
bilky asko wrote:
Martin Phillp wrote:So Tesco have axed Unilever food products such as Marmite and Colmans Mustard as they refuse to pay the extra cost in importing the products from I think The Netherlands?

Clearly this is obviously a ploy by Tesco to get Unilever to bring the cost down, but I'm surprised it's got this far considering I think the CEO worked for Unilever for 27 years!
...except a good proportion of the products involved aren't imported. It's a case of (as many, many companies do) overplaying/taking advantage of a problem to make more money.
But where are the ingredients sourced? Just because sometimes canned/bottled in the UK doesn't isolate it from the weakness of the pound. If even your container from China costs 15% more than it did 6 months ago, you're going to struggle to not put up your prices.
Hence why I said overplaying. Prices change all the time; I would suggest Tesco aren't stupid and they realise the figure they've produced is bullshit as a blanket change.

EDIT: Both BBC News and ITV News have reported that some insiders believe it's a ruse to increase prices.
JAS84

Martin Phillp wrote:Grabbed from the Fail Online, the products affected.

Food and beverages:

Alsa, Amino, Amora, Annapurna, Aromat, Becel, Ben & Jerry's, Best Foods, Bertolli, Blue Band, Bovril, Breyers, Brooke Bond, Bru, Brummel & Brown, Buavita, Bushell's, Calvé, Chicken Tonight, Choysa, Colman's, Conimex, Continental, Country Crock, Darko, Delma, Du Darfst, Elmlea, Fanacoa, Flora, Fruco, Fudgsicle, Grom, Heartbrand, Hellmann's, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, Imperial Margarine, Jif, Joko, Kasia, Kecap Bango, Kissan, Klondike, Knorr, Lady's Choice, Lan-Choo, Lao Cai, Lipton, Lipton Ice Tea, Lizano Sauce, Lyons, Maille, Maizena, Marmite, McCollins, Motions, Mrs. Filbert's, Paddle pop, Pfanni, PG Tips, Phase, Planta, Popsicle, Pot Noodle, Promise, Rama, Rani, Red Rose Tea, Robertsons, Royco, Saga, Sana, Sariwangi, Scottish Blend, Sealtest, Slotts, Stork, Streets, Sunce, T2, Telma, Tortex, Tulipan, Turun sinappi, Unilever Food Solutions, Unox, Vaqueiro

Home and personal care:

All, Ala, Andrelon, Aviance Cosmetics, Axe, Ayush, Baba, Badedas, Biotex, Block & White, Breeze, Brilhante, Brisk, Brylcreem, Caress, Cif, Citra, Clear, Clinic, Close-Up, Coccolino, Comfort, Cream Silk, Degree, DERO, Dimension, Dollar Shave Club, Domestos, Dove, Dove Spa, Dusch Das, Elidor, Eskinol, Fair & Lovely, FDS, Gessy, Glorix, Good Morning, Impulse, Ioma, Lakmé, Lever 2000, Lifebuoy, Linic, Lux, Lynx, Lysoform, Master, Matey, Minerva, Mist, Neutral, Noxzema, Omo, Origins, Organics, Pears Transparent Soap, Pepsodent, Persil, Pond's, Prodent, Quix, Q-Tips, Radox, Rexona, Rinso, Robijn, Sedal, Shield, Signal, Simple, Skip, SR, St Ives, Suave, Sun, Sunlight, Sunsilk, Sure deodorant, Surf, Swan Soap, Thermasilk, Tholl, TIGI, Timotei, Toni & Guy, TRESemmé, Ultrex, Vaseline, Vibrance, Vim, Vinólia, Viso, Wheel, White Beauty, Williams, VO5, Xedex, zendium, Zhonghua, Zwitsal
A lot of big name brands there. They'll be losing a lot of trade there...

...and I wonder, when buying online, will they correctly substitute the items? I can imagine someone trying to order a tub of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, and being sent butter instead of a different margarine brand. Or trying to buy a jar of Chicken Tonight and ending up with an actual chicken.
robschneider

And now it's being blamed on Brexit.

Couldn't make it up!
woah

robschneider wrote:And now it's being blamed on Brexit.

Couldn't make it up!
Well it's because of the weak pound, which is caused by uncertainty around Brexit.
james2001

Brexiters like to put their fingers in their ears and pretend that there's no negative effects from it whatsoever.

The pound's fallen nearly 20% as a direct result of the Brexit vote and Theresa May's talk of forcing hard brexit though. What did you think would happen after such a steep fall? Nothing? Or are you denying the pound's fall has nothing to do with the brexit thing?

Are Brexiters going to stay in denial when it's announced our energy bills are being hiked as well?

All stuff we were warned about before the vote, but brexiters just shouted "project fear".
Martin Phillp

Apparently Tesco and Unilever have come to a deal this evening.
TVF's London Lite.
woah

One of the local Co-ops that was on a petrol forecourt has just reopened as a Spar - with the cheapest refit in history. The only thing that has changed is the signage, the stock range and the EPOS system - it's a bit odd! Even the green entrance remains along with some of the Co-operative graphics like on the tobacco door. I'm assuming it won't be staying that way and they rushed to re-open it.
Philip

Martin Phillp wrote:Apparently Tesco and Unilever have come to a deal this evening.
Wow, all that commotion over almost nothing (in the short term). The news cycle really is insane these days.
bilky asko

woah wrote:One of the local Co-ops that was on a petrol forecourt has just reopened as a Spar - with the cheapest refit in history. The only thing that has changed is the signage, the stock range and the EPOS system - it's a bit odd! Even the green entrance remains along with some of the Co-operative graphics like on the tobacco door. I'm assuming it won't be staying that way and they rushed to re-open it.
Perhaps it varies from Spar regional group to Spar regional group, but the G E Murgatroyd ones I've been in have always been complete refits, from ceiling to floor.
Martin Phillp

The BBC is reporting Unilever made some concessions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37650234
TVF's London Lite.