The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

Finn

Just experienced the new voice at our Tesco Extra. As I was on the scan as you go checkout, he didn't say much.

My impression is that he talks less than she did.

Did take me aback, though. Shows how used you get to things.
Nick Harvey
God

Neil DG wrote:My impression is that he talks less than she did.
I wouldn't expect anything else!
Pete

Martin Phillp wrote:I had it at Tesco Extra last week. There was no bleeping while scanning which I found annoying.

Otherwise it's an improvement on the previous version of the self-scan software.
There is a little button with a speaker icon on the barcode scanner. If you press that there are five settings of volume including silent. It's independent from the speakers the voice comes from.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Martin Phillp

Pete wrote:
Martin Phillp wrote:I had it at Tesco Extra last week. There was no bleeping while scanning which I found annoying.

Otherwise it's an improvement on the previous version of the self-scan software.
There is a little button with a speaker icon on the barcode scanner. If you press that there are five settings of volume including silent. It's independent from the speakers the voice comes from.
Thanks Pete, I'll have a look the next time I get a silent till.
TVF's London Lite.
cdd

I've noticed more and more supermarkets are including clear perspex 'cutout covers' over the chewing gum shelves.

Does anyone know what purpose these are meant to serve? My guesses were some sort of anti-shoplifting idea, or stopping them getting knocked off by people walking by, but I can't imagine either were real problems so maybe I'm missing something obvious...

Pete

Not just that but they're locked closed with a combination lock
"He has to be larger than bacon"
thegeek

I'm guessing it's related to this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-17078958
JAS84

If that's the reason, aren't they being slow to react? That article is from 3 and a half years ago!
WillPS

JAS84 wrote:If that's the reason, aren't they being slow to react? That article is from 3 and a half years ago!
...about when they started appearing, then. Perhaps the Hull Milk Cartel has been instrumental in keeping them out of East Yorkshire up to now?
JAS84

Asda's own brand products have started using the updated logo, and the Chosen By You sub-brand is being phased out.
thegeek

according to Sainsbury's, Christmas is for sharing.