The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

all new Phil

There is one in Preston that I am amazed has survived. It never seems busy at all, and we also don't actually have a proper store.
Philip

I didn't even know Tesco Homeplus existed until the store closures were announced. Is it just Tesco Extra without the food?

(Also, I note that no Tesco Extras are closing)
nwtv2003

Interesting they're closing the Runcorn store, but not surprising. In the last few years it was rebranded as Tesco Metro, it lies within the Halton Lea Shopping Centre (or Shopping City as it's known locally) and it has been there probably for as long as the centre has, which has been the last forty or so years, and the Tesco does always seem busy when I go past. Although it doesn't help they have a massive Asda, Aldi and a brand spanking new Lidl nearby that have their own car parks.

steve
WillPS

Philip wrote:I didn't even know Tesco Homeplus existed until the store closures were announced. Is it just Tesco Extra without the food?

Kind of. The focus is a bit different generally. Less electronics.

They have some stuff you might not expect them to aswell, the full baby range and limited heath, beauty and laundry lines. They also have meal deal stuff.

Asda have a similar operation called Asda Living, which again seemed to be lighter on many ranges than my local Asda Superstore. Asda Living's logo uses the old George typeface still:
DJDave

There is a Tesco Home in Bromborough, Think it was one of the first and it always seems very busy.
jonathan

The Edinburgh Homeplus has never been particularly busy when I've been in. It's located very near a popular retail park but to get to it on foot you have to cross a busy road, so while someone may walk a large distance to a shop within the retail park they are unlikely to walk to Tesco.
Philip

WillPS wrote:
Philip wrote:I didn't even know Tesco Homeplus existed until the store closures were announced. Is it just Tesco Extra without the food?

Kind of. The focus is a bit different generally. Less electronics.

They have some stuff you might not expect them to aswell, the full baby range and limited heath, beauty and laundry lines. They also have meal deal stuff.

Asda have a similar operation called Asda Living, which again seemed to be lighter on many ranges than my local Asda Superstore. Asda Living's logo uses the old George typeface still:
Thanks for that - it sounds a bit like Boots to be honest, with a focus on home and health, including the meal deals near the tills.
WillPS

Nah, more like smaller Debenhams really.
Pete

A load of hoarding has appeared inside big Tesco in Dundee.

This was formerly one of those ghastly Eurest ran greasy spoon caffs. I dread to think what this Dobbies cafe is going to be like.

A portakiabin with toilets is outside as the toilets were part of the old cafe. Meanwhile the increasingly ghastly looking Max Speilman has moved into a space at the back (next to tech) with its unit seemingly made out of spare office space behind the back wall.

Quite where Timpson have moved to is another matter.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
all new Phil

The Eurest cafe at my nearest Extra isn't that bad. They updated the menu and the presentation of the food recently, it's a bit more pub-like. It used to be dire.
Finn

Does anyone know what happened to the plan to open more branches of Giraffe in Tesco Extras?