The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

ph2o

This is kind of a branding question that really annoys me. So Tesco uses the following logos for their different format stores -

And with the latest refurbs on Express stores, they use this rather ugly logo -

Whilst retaining all the other logos for both the Metro and Extra format.

Why Tesco? Why?
thegeek

Pass, but the trend seems to follow overseas too:

Hungary:

Slovakia:

Ireland, where there's a fine bit of ribbon-cutting going on:

and apparently even China:
(Though I like how one of the Tesco dashes has made it into the Chinese version of their name)
nwtv2003

https://twitter.com/stockybeat/status/3 ... 52/photo/1

From the Sainsburys Local near where I used to live, they've decided to shut up shop for a couple of weeks for a big refurb, apparently it's been open 11 and a half years and due for one I've been told, although weirdly its frontage is more up to date, with the purple background on front, but new logo I guess for Locals it is I guess.
steve
Critique

What is it with the Co-op (or at least the EoE society) and the way they train their staff? I've claimed a couple of scratchcards at two different stores recently and neither of my trainee staff knew how to put through a scratchcard win on the Lottery machines. Neither tried to call for a supervisor to help either, and instead tried dropping it into the top of the machine or just generally jabbing at the screen - having worked in a shop before, and with no supervisor in sight, both times I had to explain the process of redeeming a scratchcard (including the whole 'type the first two sections of the barcode on the back and then all the code on the front when it didn't scan' process).

It frustrates me as they seem to just dump the trainee on the till and then get all other staff to evacuate the area so they can't come over when help is needed - it looks like they cover the bare necessities of issuing a lucky dip or scanning a fastpay card, and then completely forget to train them on anything related to PayPoint or the other functions of a Lottery machine.
nwtv2003 wrote:https://twitter.com/stockybeat/status/3 ... 52/photo/1

From the Sainsburys Local near where I used to live, they've decided to shut up shop for a couple of weeks for a big refurb, apparently it's been open 11 and a half years and due for one I've been told, although weirdly its frontage is more up to date, with the purple background on front, but new logo I guess for Locals it is I guess.
And in relation to this, a Sainsbury's Local that opened around here the other week must have opened only a few weeks before the new logo was revealed, and would seemingly have out-of-date signage if they're actually going to use the ~ device on signage, like the logo in the photo in that tweet suggests.
WillPS

Corners get cut in convenience *all the time*. I had a bit of informal till training when I transferred to Sainsburys Local (I'd come off the deli in a main store and had not been till trained previously), but I was left to work out most stuff. When I did a few shifts in a former Jacksons (which had a Lottery terminal, unlike my purpose built Local) I had literally no idea what I was doing. I don't recall having to cash in any scratch cards but what I did I had to fumble my way through.
martindtanderson

Forgot to post this image I took a week ago. We have a new Sainsbury's Local opening soon near home.

Slight change from the existing logo variations I have seen

scottishtv

martindtanderson wrote:Image
Forgot to post this image I took a week ago. We have a new Sainsbury's Local opening soon near home.
Would be interested in knowing if this makes it into the main lit signage above the door.

Had a local open close to my flat three weeks ago, the brand new store signage was still in Slab despite the Mary Ann version of the logo (as above) appearing on all the promotional materials and leaflets mailshot.

Bit of a mess really.
martindtanderson

Not that I go to Sainsbury's all that often, but out of all the logos I have seen, I do like the one with the Slab font.
Alexia

Just a shame they're using Interstate on those wavy sail flag thingymabobbys.

EDIT: And indeed on the Fresh flowers display.
martindtanderson

The store has opened now, forgot to take a photo of the exterior signage, will try to get it soon. But it wasn't Interstate. It had some slight serifs on it, and was thinner. Perhaps it was this new font.
Critique

Does anyone else live somewhere there have been wars between the pound shops, or is Ipswich really this bad? Last week Poundland was selling everything for 93p and the new 99p stores (in the old QD space) was selling everything for 94p. This appears to have been ongoing throughout last week, however, because both stores seemed quite confused as to how much everything was - Poundland had lots of 95p signs floating around and 99p stores has lots of signage about the price of 99p, because it's called '99p stores'... Although, as you'll see in a moment that didn't stop them from upping the price too - here is some pictorial evidence of all the aforementioned joy:

99p stores was also sporting some signage which looked suspiciously ASDA-like, in terms of the font:

Note how it advertises the £1 price-point when it's a SODDING 99P STORE.

In other news, one of the many new Tesco Express stores are due to open here tomorrow, and they've got some quite nice adverts floating around on bus stops and the like for it: