The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

Pete

Andrew wrote:My local Tesco is currently going through what they are saying is it's 10 year refit, basically seems to so far involve moving the fruit & veg to the front, new healthcare fittings, a new pharmacy counter, wooden panelling either side of the main doors, wooden trolley parks outside etc. There is also going to be self scanning equipment.
Self scanning as in Waitrose / Safeway style or normal self-scan tills?

Interesting that the new refits involve moving the fruit and veg to the front whereas previous refits have involved moving it from the front into the middle of the store so that all the non-food can be at the start of the store.

BTW - any reason that Tesco replace their self-scan tills far more frequently than others? In five years my local has had four old basket style ones, then had two "conveyor at the end" ones installed, then removed and replaced with another two normals, then the whole lot just got ripped out and replaced with 12 brand new smaller units in a more sensible layout.

Do other Tescos replace them this often or is my theory that Dundee gets used for testing due to having NCR & the call centre here correct?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
lukey

Pete wrote:
Do other Tescos replace them this often or is my theory that Dundee gets used for testing due to having NCR & the call centre here correct?
It's plausible, although NCR Labs (unfortunately on its way out) was a bit more blue sky than actually iterating on their SelfServ stuff.
Andrew Wood

Pete wrote:Do other Tescos replace them this often or is my theory that Dundee gets used for testing due to having NCR & the call centre here correct?
The store I work in has gone through them all, apart from the latest coral-style.
TG

Pete wrote:Self scanning as in Waitrose / Safeway style or normal self-scan tills?
The former, with checkouts identical to the latter. Irritatingly, the actual handsets look identical to those rolled out for Dotcom (although software totally different of course), still, not great when some stupid woman misplaces her handset and tries to grab one off a picker...
scottishtv

I thought that scan-as-you-go approach was on the way out, to be honest. I was surprised to see that Sainsbury's at Blackhall in Edinburgh still has it, they call it Fast Track. I got the impression it was being 'hidden' away somewhat and not that many customers in the store seem to use it. Maybe it will make a comeback if Tesco are investing. I think I'd find the potential for constant re-scans at the end of the shop might put me off.
Critique

scottishtv wrote:I thought that scan-as-you-go approach was on the way out, to be honest. I was surprised to see that Sainsbury's at Blackhall in Edinburgh still has it, they call it Fast Track. I got the impression it was being 'hidden' away somewhat and not that many customers in the store seem to use it. Maybe it will make a comeback if Tesco are investing. I think I'd find the potential for constant re-scans at the end of the shop might put me off.
Waitrose have been introducing it into stores quite recently, actually - the Waitrose/John Lewis only opened last Christmas here but had it when I visited in January, so it looks like it's making a comeback.
thegeek

Pete wrote:What are the views regarding Tesco's new "love every mouthful" campaign? I think its a great move away from the very bland adverts they've had since ditching the old Prunella Scales ones years ago.
On its own, the 'Love Every Mouthful' ad ain't too bad. But the slow motion shot of the man eating a bruschetta reminds me quite a bit of a recent Burger King ad where someone eats a burger in slow motion (which itself is a rip-off of an 80s or 90s McDonald's ad that I can't seem to find online). And while I like that Battles track, it was used quite recently in a Vision Express ad, so seems like an odd choice.

The 'Every [stock photo] helps' sign-off is good, though.
thegeek

TG wrote:
WillPS wrote:New Clubcard logo:
Interesting. More in line with the current staff card.
Just noticed they've got yet another new logo on the latest mailout:
(with old coupon for comparison)
Andrew Wood

A rather nice Google street-view around Tesco's refurbished Watford Extra. It's not like your current shop...

http://t.co/S0o7jZxn3g
gottago

Andrew Wood wrote:A rather nice Google street-view around Tesco's refurbished Watford Extra. It's not like your current shop...

http://t.co/S0o7jZxn3g
And here's a BBC News video on it (well I assume it's the same store). I feel sorry for the poor woman who has to stand with a "here to help" lollipop, looking like an idiot.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23617870
Andrew

That is the one I was talking about a few posts above with the Giraffe and the 'Bakery Project'. I hadn't realised it was pretty much a concept store.