The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

Chris

Our local Tesco is having a bit of a makeover. The cafe has been shrouded in white hoarding for a good few weeks, so they must be doing something quite big.

I really do hope in this refit that somebody replaces the damn toner cartridges in the printers throughout the store. They seem adept at printing signs and labels with half of the toner faded off (as it's run out or seriously on its last legs).

Does nobody ever stop and think, hang on, this looks rather shite and cack handed, what will our customers think ... and to replace the toner cartridge?!?
TG

You think it's easy to persuade any manager in charge of consumables that it's ever a good idea to keep a spare toner cartridge in? Even then it can take days... :(
Pete

TG wrote:You think it's easy to persuade any manager in charge of consumables that it's ever a good idea to keep a spare toner cartridge in? Even then it can take days... :(
your printers don't order their own toner? seriously?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
TG

Nobody and nothing seems to order ANYTHING...
Nick Harvey
God

What is it about Tesco and printer toners?

About two weeks out of five the sheets which come with our grocery home delivery are so feint there are parts you can't read at all. It's often the important "Payment and Savings" bit that can't be read.

It must cost Tesco a fortune in the end because whenever we can't read an important part of the sheet we ask for another copy to be posted to us after the toner's been replaced.

False economy, really.
TG

Agreed. My old home delivery department was once told it would have to do without any toner for the following month. It hadn't occurred to the powers that be to think that customers might want and need to see what had been subbed, what wasn't there, and how much it all actually cost.
bilky asko

If laser prints have white areas, it is advisable to shake the toner (horizontally) a few times.
Andrew Wood

Pete wrote:your printers don't order their own toner? seriously?
They have done for around six months now and we're expected to change the toner when the printer says it's out, not when it's low.

However, as usual, common sense seems to fail when it's obvious that they need to be changed earlier a) so it just doesn't look shit and b) so those of us that need to scan the barcodes on the labels can actually do that...
m-in-m

Andrew Wood wrote:
Pete wrote:your printers don't order their own toner? seriously?
They have done for around six months now and we're expected to change the toner when the printer says it's out, not when it's low.

However, as usual, common sense seems to fail when it's obvious that they need to be changed earlier a) so it just doesn't look shit and b) so those of us that need to scan the barcodes on the labels can actually do that...
Perhaps we're lucky. The HP printers we have at work report the toner being out or being at 1,000 pages left way before the period when the toner actually runs out.
revendication

Sput wrote:My local Extra seems to have been revamped. It mostly consists of moving some freezers and attaching lots of wood to things.
As has my local Extra: wooden panelling everywhere, new freezers, quick-swipe Clubcard machines at each checkout, and an entrance 'hello' with a weird background effect it seems every revamped store's getting, à la...

...with another one at the entrance to the car park - which doesn't actually have any reference to Tesco, so you've no idea which supermarket you're visiting.
adamcobb55 wrote:Off brand POS is a problem. At some point last year I was asked to make a sign promoting tiger bread. The manager took one look at it and told me I should make it again with a more exciting font like Comic Sans(!!!!!!)
Despite every sign in the shop being replaced, the rejigged tobacco kiosk's 'please queue here' signs are in Comic Sans. And the petrol pumps have had new stickers applied - again, off-brand:

bilky asko

I've noticed Hull's Hall Road store is being refitted - I haven't had a chance to go inside, but the petrol sign and the trolley shelters are clad in wood.

One thing that I noticed this week was "EXCHANGE" spelt out in balloons - the way its been rigged up makes it look its suspended in mid-air - it took me a few seconds to realise how it was done.