Digital Spy Watch News and Information Board

Bail

Quick, hide! They've spotted us!

"Metropol has noticed this thread by the way & mentioned on their Digital Spy Watch thread. They've got nothing better to do as usual!"
Philip

Way to ruin the fun, westy.
Martin Phillp

I thought Westy wasn't going to come on here again, but is more than happy to moan about Metropol posts?
TVF's London Lite.
JAS84

The site has had a revamp - and it looks like everyone hates it. Less stories per category, Cult section gone, comments gone (a definite backwards step) and a horrible layout. There's also a bug on the forums, some people have found that trying to type in a thread title doesn't work - you have to use copy and paste.
JAS84

And now there's a weird crosshatch appearing all over the screen when you type! Someone needs to be sacked. :x
james2001

So lovely to see the typical DS Islamaphobia alive and well after the awful events in Paris last night. The wonderful world where you're a terrorist apologist for daring to speak out against the bile being that's being spewed out.

Apparently speaking out at all the hatred being aimed at Muslims before anyone even knew it was Muslims, and them acting as if all all Muslims are terrorist scum is somehow unreasonable and means I must sympathise with the terrorists. Jesus christ. DS really has become a cesspit of bigotry over the past few years.
Alexia

james2001 wrote:So lovely to see the typical DS Islamaphobia alive and well after the awful events in Paris last night. The wonderful world where you're a terrorist apologist for daring to speak out against the bile being that's being spewed out.

Apparently speaking out at all the hatred being aimed at Muslims before anyone even knew it was Muslims, and them acting as if all all Muslims are terrorist scum is somehow unreasonable and means I must sympathise with the terrorists. Jesus christ. DS really has become a cesspit of bigotry over the past few years.
That's not just DS. Take a look across Facebook and Twitter and you'll see the same thing. Hell -- take a look across the comment boards of all newspaper sites and you'll see the same thing. The internet and social media have given idiots a louder voice.
james2001

I know that- other members of my family today have been recieving abuse on Facebook for daring to say that people shouldn't tarnish all Muslims for this. It's horrible to see comments aimed at them (from complete strangers too) calling them "do gooders" and "terrorist sympathisers". It makes you feel quite sick that it's come to this really.

I noticed any of the reasoned people on DS have pretty much given up trying to post in the discussion now, so it's just pretty much wall-to-wall Muslim bashing. Someone earlier today posted a very long reasoned post on the subject, just to be met with sneering and cries that they're an apologist. I guess people have realised there isn't any point in even trying to reason or debate with these people, just let them wallow in their own bigotry and ignorance.

The sad thing more than anything though is DS lets it continue- at one time a discussion full of that much hate would have been shut down and people warned, if not banned, now it just continues. Mention Madeleine McCann on the other hand, and the mods will be on you before you've even pressed submit.
SomeRandomStuff

I agree that you cannot blame all Muslims for the actions of a few. The problem is that the media is failing to properly educate us about Islam and its followers. Thus the underlying barbaric doctrines of Islam, that lead to Jihadism and to the sort of atrocities we have seen in Paris and elsewhere, are impossible to discuss or criticise without being shut down with accusations of "Islamophobia" and (ridiculously) Racism. We should be able to discuss and criticise every aspect of this backwards ideology without resorting to the anti-Muslim hatred that we have seen on DS and other social media. If we can openly criticise Christianity and its followers without accusations of "Christianophobia" then why is it different for Islam?
Holding Islam up to scrutiny, rationally and ethically, must not be confused with anti-Muslim bigotry. Cries of “Islamophobia,” which have become ubiquitous on college campuses and in much of the liberal press, have been used to silence legitimate criticism. In an open society, no idea can be above scrutiny...
the problem is that Islam isn’t a religion of peace, and the so-called extremists are seeking to implement what is arguably the most honest reading of the faith’s actual doctrine.
From this article...
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... oblem.html
WillPS

SomeRandomStuff wrote:I agree that you cannot blame all Muslims for the actions of a few. The problem is that the media is failing to properly educate us about Islam and its followers. Thus the underlying barbaric doctrines of Islam, that lead to Jihadism and to the sort of atrocities we have seen in Paris and elsewhere, are impossible to discuss or criticise without being shut down with accusations of "Islamophobia" and (ridiculously) Racism. We should be able to discuss and criticise every aspect of this backwards ideology without resorting to the anti-Muslim hatred that we have seen on DS and other social media. If we can openly criticise Christianity and its followers without accusations of "Christianophobia" then why is it different for Islam?
Holding Islam up to scrutiny, rationally and ethically, must not be confused with anti-Muslim bigotry. Cries of “Islamophobia,” which have become ubiquitous on college campuses and in much of the liberal press, have been used to silence legitimate criticism. In an open society, no idea can be above scrutiny...
the problem is that Islam isn’t a religion of peace, and the so-called extremists are seeking to implement what is arguably the most honest reading of the faith’s actual doctrine.
From this article...
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... oblem.html
It's true. And the counter argument thrown back is that you can't discuss or criticise Judaism without being branded an anti-Semite. Whils't that's not incorrect, that doesn't validate the association in either case.

I think almost internationally there is a level of protection associated with religion which prevents all sorts of counter-social activity from being called out.
james2001

Critising Islam is one thing, the "all Muslims are anti-western terrorist scum" bullshit we see and hear far too much is another.