Metropol's New Look

Gavin Scott
Admin

Further to Bail's suggestion, please use this thread to post ideas for Metropol's forthcoming new look.
Ronnie Rowlands

The 'O's in the logo should have Gavin's eyes superimposed over them, and a background of creepy pictures of Gavin staring into the camera, in which your eyes seem just slightly too far apart.
Ronnie is victorious, vivacious in victory like a venomous dog. Vile Republicans cease living while the religious retort with rueful rhetoric. These rank thugs resort to violence and swear revenge.

But Ronnie can punch through steel so they lose anyway.
Jovis

I admit I didn't make this myself, the image is from deviantART (seems too much effort to make a mock when this exists), but I like the idea of this. A messy desk. Ta da.

If it's done well, we can avoid it looking like JK Rowling's website.
Pete

To be honest Jovis that's pretty much my ideal too. The only issue is the forum is quite hard to make fit into such things, although a simple sheet of A4 ruled in the middle of the page would solve that.

In additon a more complex design can make the wee bigger/smaller text widgit break, although I suspect anyone who cares about such things would use Opera / IE7 with their proper page zoom (iirc firefox 3 will have it too)

This was an image I showed to Bail and Lee back in July. I think it shows just how nice photos can make a website look.

The messy desk idea would be nice for something like the homepage, something more subtle would be required for other pages.

The phpBB3 templating system is extremely flexable compared to the older ones, so a lot more is possible. However I must admit to not wanting to stray too far from the past and TVF for familiarity's sake.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Ronnie Rowlands

Perhaps doing the messy desk in Flash, like the link I've provided below. Then on it a link to the metropol site then related sites (i.e. TVF, Carbuncle Corner) represented by some sort of photograph relating to old in-jokes. TVF could be a photo of a Virgin train for example.

http://www.deagostini.co.uk/frost/flash.php
Ronnie is victorious, vivacious in victory like a venomous dog. Vile Republicans cease living while the religious retort with rueful rhetoric. These rank thugs resort to violence and swear revenge.

Jovis

Yeah Hyma, in my head I picture the 'body' of the forum on the page of A4, which obviously would be at 0 degrees.

The thing about Flash Ronnie is that they're not very Google-friendly, and whilst that can be got round, it would be harder to implement the whole latest updated topic thing.

Possibly for the other pages, the view could be 'zoomed in' to the A4, so the forum is wider.
Ronnie Rowlands

With the flash idea, I meant it as a purely navigational page, with only links to metropol and the related sites, not any particular up-to-date details about new members and so forth.

Pete

Ronnie Rowlands wrote:With the flash idea, I meant it as a purely navigational page, with only links to metropol and the related sites, not any particular up-to-date details about new members and so forth.
dont try to justify it, no flash is the answer
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Ronnie Rowlands

Hymagumba wrote:
Ronnie Rowlands wrote:With the flash idea, I meant it as a purely navigational page, with only links to metropol and the related sites, not any particular up-to-date details about new members and so forth.
dont try to justify it, no flash is the answer
Was just correcting him on that detail. Probably isn't a good idea anyway, it could be annoying to some members on slower computers, and even more annoying for those who haven't downloaded the plugin.

Anonymous

I'm very much excited, I thought it wouldn't change for a good year or so.

Is the forum just going to have the colours on the new 2012 logo?

I just think it needs a simple design this time.
Jovis

Haven't you noticed that we've already done that?