Carbon Neutral Metropol

Stuart*
Banned

chinajan wrote:I'm a sceptic about global warming - I do think it's a natural phase we've entered. And I certainly shan't be 'offsetting my carbon footprint'. Another money making racket. However, money is being made from green initiatives, which drives economies and growth, which creates jobs, which makes nations wealthier....I approve for that reason even though, as always, those at the top will take the cream.
That's what it's all about. Imho.
Yay....chinajan we concur wholeheartedly!
:lol:
User removed
Finn

barcode wrote:what about all the poor Counties?, there can;t afford this High Green technology, but the coal thing there can but yuo Dam Green peace people are stopping the people counties get richer shame on you You GREENES! :evil:
Yes.

That was an extremely well thought out response to the issue.
Sput

It's not true!

Barcode: you could do better than to base your beliefs on a documentary that gets its science from a paper that was discredited (and quite thoroughly too) several years ago

China & Stu: We've been here before, so I won't bog you guys down with pesky facts and data to get in the way of some good armchair science - but the carbon offsetting thing is pretty murky, I'll give you that.
Knight knight
barcode

Sput wrote:It's not true!

Barcode: you could do better than to base your beliefs on a documentary that gets its science from a paper that was discredited (and quite thoroughly too) several years ago
How can we go from

We'll all going to Freeze 30 years ago to Were all going to burn? also the Flooding on the eat coast happened 50 years ago

Ever since I start using energy saving things my gas an elect has sky rocket! :evil:
Pete

perhaps you should turn off your computer to save power then.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Sput

barcode wrote:How can we go from

We'll all going to Freeze 30 years ago to Were all going to burn? also the Flooding on the eat coast happened 50 years ago
The global cooling thing was actually quite short lived and was due to one scientist's bad analysis. Naturally the media picked up on it and perpetuated the story long after it had been corrected. After correcting for aerosol effects (aerosol science is the noblest of all sciences of course) he showed global climate was predicted to warm on average ever since, despite a much, much bigger set of data now existing and many more people working on it. Now, some would like to claim it's a conspiracy to get funding, but those people really don't understand just how much scientists like to prove one another wrong.

The east coast thing, as I pointed out on TVF in my first post for a few years, is WEATHER. Weather and climate are further removed than you think. No-one's attributing it to climate change. The closest they can get is to say climate change would lead to higher sea levels which allow flooding to happen in the future.
Knight knight
ashley b

nodnirG kraM wrote:new energy saving bubbles
I want some of these energy saving bubbles you keep speaking of, it'd reduce my carbon footprint dramatically I feel. Where can you get them from? Is there any soft/alcoholic drinks.
*whistle*
Jenny

Since I am a cyclist, my carbon footprint is reduced in two ways:

1. I don't drive a polluting rustbucket, and
2. it is quite likely that I will be mown down and killed by some fucking stupid motorist who thinks its sensible to overtake on a blind bend... therefore saving on all the carbon emissions I might have been responsible for in what would otherwise have remained of my life.
chinajan

I also walk and bike and don't own a car so yay me too. But it's because I can't drive and want to keep fit so any benefit to the environment is incidental.

Now the science bit. You know this ice cap melting mallarkey? Well, see, if I'm enjoying a nice gin and lime with a couple of rocks in it, when they melt the level doesn't [appear to] rise. So why worry about sea levels?

Your'e going to tell me now, aren't you, something physics related that will confuse me?

chinajan there. Victim of a physics awareness bypass.
Stuart*
Banned

chinajan wrote:Now the science bit. You know this ice cap melting mallarkey? Well, see, if I'm enjoying a nice gin and lime with a couple of rocks in it, when they melt the level doesn't [appear to] rise. So why worry about sea levels?

Your'e going to tell me now, aren't you, something physics related that will confuse me?

chinajan there. Victim of a physics awareness bypass.
Because the ice in your glass has the same volume as the water which it displaces. As it melts there is no increase in overall volume, but a change in the ratio of water to ice.

Unfortunately the planet is not contained within your glass of gin & lime. Although the total volume of ice + water will not change, the percentage of water will increase and be distributed differently meaning all the tree-hugging greenies will drown because we will have tied them to stakes on low lying ground :lol: (so that their last words can be "I told you so")
User removed
barcode

ICE poles can't increase the sea levels:

90% of all ice burghs are under the under, water become ice it expands:

when Ice melt it take up less room so It should in fact make sea level go down