Urban myths

rts

Was wondering about something specific, but could open this up to the myriad of other urban myths out there...

The one I've heard is that on the event of the general public being mobilised for war, it goes on the last letter of your NI number. So A's will be subscribed first, then B's, and so on.

Bollox, or any truth in it?
Gavin Scott
Admin

Your card start with an "A", does it?

I'm an "N" so I'm not too fussed. Even if I did get called up there would have to be a very much better reason than the last couple of skirmishes or I'll call myself a conciencious objector and go to live in the country.

I've had a look a snopes.com, but there's no listing for this particular query.
Anonymous

So does mine, so there's some time to wait before I start killing things.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Beardy Bob wrote:So does mine, so there's some time to wait before I start killing things.
Hmm. Why do I have a niggling doubt about that, James?
Stuart*
Banned

Gavin Scott wrote:Your card start with an "A", does it?
He actually said the LAST letter, rather than the first. Mine starts with N, but ends with B. If this urban myth is indeed true I would simply go into hiding. I'm a self-confessed coward and have no intention of becoming cannon-fodder for anyone's political ends.
User removed
Gavin Scott
Admin

StuartPlymouth wrote:
He actually said the LAST letter, rather than the first. Mine starts with N, but ends with B. If this urban myth is indeed true I would simply go into hiding. I'm a self-confessed coward and have no intention of becoming cannon-fodder for anyone's political ends.
Oh. In that case I'm also a "B".

Screw em. I ain't fighting for oil.
rob

Mine starts with J and ends with A. Fuck.
Weekdays from 7am-10am on Andover Radio
Overton Radio: Weekdays 2pm-4pm, Weekends 8am-11am
Stuart*
Banned

Using the last letter wouldn't be a very good way of dividing the country since only A,B,C and D are used (unless you have a temporary number - beginning TN and ending with either F or M depending on sex).

If this urban myth were correct it would effectively call up 25% of the eligible population, so there would have to be another way of prioritising within each group.
User removed
rts

Mine ends with "D" luckily. I think StuartPlymouth makes a very good point however.
Anonymous

Gavin Scott wrote:
Beardy Bob wrote:So does mine, so there's some time to wait before I start killing things.
Hmm. Why do I have a niggling doubt about that, James?
Name's Bob this way fella.
marksi

StuartPlymouth wrote:
Mine's a C so I'll be behind Stu. ;)