Sound Card Problems

Reeves

For those who found my Vista thread this is related to the "2)" bit.

I'm sorting out a PC I got from it's previous owner to give to my brother - formatting etc. At present I have both XP Pro and Vista Home Premium installed on it. Vista seems to provide the PC with sound drivers itself but XP wants me to install them myself. I've yet to find the CD that would contain these drivers and at the moment it doesn't look like I will. Advice already given is to check what the sound card is in "Devices" - no information - do a Run>DXDIAG procedure - no information - or check in the computer hardware manuals etc. - no manuals.

Does anyone have any idea how I could get my sound working on XP Pro?
Many thanks.
Sput

Is the sound card built into the motherboard (the sockets would be on the same plate as the usb ports)? If so, you can figure out which motherboard you've got from the very first screen on boot-up (logo screens notwithstanding) and find the drivers on the manufacturer's website.
Knight knight
Reeves

Thanks Sput, but...

I found the driver but half way through installation it brings up "Found New Hardware" for "Audio Bus.." asking me how to install it etc. When I tell it to search for drivers it finds nothing, and the installation seems to do bugger all.
Neil Jones

Reeves wrote:Thanks Sput, but...

I found the driver but half way through installation it brings up "Found New Hardware" for "Audio Bus.." asking me how to install it etc. When I tell it to search for drivers it finds nothing, and the installation seems to do bugger all.
This'll probably be the Microsoft patch update that's needed for newer sound cards.
For reasons only known to Microsoft, they won't let you download it. However it comes bundled with some drivers that you can download.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/gene ... en&lang=en contains the file you need and probably an entire driver that will probably not work on your computer but it has the key Audio Bus file driver you need.

What you do with this, is install the Microsoft patch KB888111 first, restart the computer and then install the correct sound driver. It should then work hunky-dory.