Northern rock!

all new Phil

Sput wrote:Words fail me to describe the stupidity of these people in the queues "I can't believe this has happened!" they whinge, but nothing IS happening!
Although it will happen, if they keep taking their money out, to those poor blighters who have a mortgage with them. By taking out their savings, they are surely only making things worse?
Finn

There must be some serious investors in these queues, seeing as the first £35,000 of savings is guaranteed by the official Financial Services Compensation Scheme.
Sput

There was a woman who was very posh with 750,000 in there claiming she'd lost all faith in the banking system of this country. I do wish she'd fuck off. Losing faith in the bank that still has all your money available to withdraw is hardly justified.
Knight knight
Charlie Wells

Shares in Northern Rock have risen almost 10% this morning. Probably little comfort to those who've had shares since before last week, and less comfort to those who sold their shares yesterday at a considerable loss.
"If ass holes could fly then this place would be an airport."
GNiel

And not a great comfort to me, I missed out buying at 252 yesterday by a matter of minutes
GNiel

Having said that, they've just dropped 10p in about 45 seconds... could I be in luck?
Charlie Wells

Looks like it's now only up by 6%, compared to the 11% of this morning.
"If ass holes could fly then this place would be an airport."
Gavin Scott
Admin

Even people at my work are talking about taking a punt on shares of NR. If that many people are thinking the same thing then I doubt anyone will see the massive return they have anticipated.

The Rock may still go bust.
James H

What I'm laughing about is the meeja hoo-har made out of this.

Since the media got ahold of this story on Friday, I think it was, it's been blown out of all proportion. Lloyds TSB and Alliance and Leicester have had blips like this in their operation before and they've kept schtum about it, thus reducing the likelihood of thick northerners in panic.

I primarily blame John Stapleton. Yesterday he was bleating on GMTV to some bloke to do with banking about it all being 'Johnny Foreigner's fault'. Well do you understand ANYTHING about international banking, Staplegun? He's past his prime.

One of our family friends has just put £20,000 on Northern Rock's shares. They'll go up, at least, that's what's predicted. They may need a few more loans from Ocean before they're sorted though!
Sput

James H wrote:What I'm laughing about is the meeja hoo-har made out of this.

Since the media got ahold of this story on Friday, I think it was, it's been blown out of all proportion. Lloyds TSB and Alliance and Leicester have had blips like this in their operation before and they've kept schtum about it, thus reducing the likelihood of thick northerners in panic.

I primarily blame John Stapleton. Yesterday he was bleating on GMTV to some bloke to do with banking about it all being 'Johnny Foreigner's fault'. Well do you understand ANYTHING about international banking, Staplegun? He's past his prime.

One of our family friends has just put £20,000 on Northern Rock's shares. They'll go up, at least, that's what's predicted. They may need a few more loans from Ocean before they're sorted though!
There was a thick southern cow on yesterday. Careful.
Knight knight
Stuart*
Banned

James H wrote:I think it was, it's been blown out of all proportion. Lloyds TSB and Alliance and Leicester have had blips like this in their operation before and they've kept schtum about it, thus reducing the likelihood of thick northerners in panic.
I presume that as a northerner you are claiming immunity from insulting your fellow Geordies.

Northern people are normally fairly careful with their savings, so this sort of scare doesn't encourage comfort despite assurances from the government. There are far more dis-trusting southerners withdrawing their money, in far larger quantities, I notice you didn't call them "thick" .
User removed