Another High Street Rebrand

JAS84

Yeah, the R in Waterstone's should be the R in Spencer. The first E and N in the word Spencer belong on the John Lewis logo (and the other E is one of Waterstone's's). Like I said, someone screwed up.
gottago

Did there used to be another name to the left of Marks and Spencer or are they just awful at allignment as well?
james2001

JAS84 wrote:Yeah, the R in Waterstone's should be the R in Spencer. The first E and N in the word Spencer belong on the John Lewis logo (and the other E is one of Waterstone's's). Like I said, someone screwed up.
Yep, looking at it closely- the letters are right, just whoever put the sign up put them in the wrong places! You could take the signs down and move the letters around to put them in the right place.

For more examples, the last "S" in Waterstone's should be in "Marks", the S in Marks is the one that should be in "Lewis" and the S in "Lewis" should be in Waterstone's. Similar with the "E"- the "E" in Lewis is the one that should be in Waterstone's, and the both of the Es in Waterstone's belong in "Spencer", and as you already mentioned the first "E" in Spencer belongs in "Lewis"

Funnily enough though that is the first time I've ever seen that John Lewis logo! I don't think I ever saw an actual John Lewis branded store until they rebranded Jessop's in Nottingham in 2002, and by then they were using the current logo.
WillPS

james2001 wrote:
JAS84 wrote:Yeah, the R in Waterstone's should be the R in Spencer. The first E and N in the word Spencer belong on the John Lewis logo (and the other E is one of Waterstone's's). Like I said, someone screwed up.
Yep, looking at it closely- the letters are right, just whoever put the sign up put them in the wrong places! You could take the signs down and move the letters around to put them in the right place.

For more examples, the last "S" in Waterstone's should be in "Marks", the S in Marks is the one that should be in "Lewis" and the S in "Lewis" should be in Waterstone's. Similar with the "E"- the "E" in Lewis is the one that should be in Waterstone's, and the both of the Es in Waterstone's belong in "Spencer", and as you already mentioned the first "E" in Spencer belongs in "Lewis"

Funnily enough though that is the first time I've ever seen that John Lewis logo! I don't think I ever saw an actual John Lewis branded store until they rebranded Jessop's in Nottingham in 2002, and by then they were using the current logo.
Nor me - all the John Lewis stores I visited as a child carried their legacy names until being rebranded as John Lewis in the 00s - Jessop's, Cole Brothers (Sheffield) and Bond's (Norwich).

I presume you've seen the lovely swirly John Lewis Partnership logo on the wall outside though?
james2001

I actually haven't! Though it was inside the store somewhere (I think on the wall outside of one of the lifts), maybe it still is! I do have an old Jessops carrier bag somewhere with that logo on too.
WillPS

Here you go: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.95615 ... 312!8i6656

Still there according to Street View. Lovely stuff. A shame the centre it's engraved upon is such a shit hole.

I remember the logos inside too, yeah! And the weird art made of pipes on the ceiling above the escalators, must of been the height of modernity when it opened.

I was told the other day that the lovely lifts and staircase in the old Co-op Department Store on Parliament Street are still there. Would love to see them again, they were quite special.
Philip

JAS84 wrote:Subway has a new logo:
http://uk.businessinsider.com/subway-ha ... ?r=US&IR=T
Not a fan of this at all. Much prefer the old-new logo to this new-old logo. Retro for retros sake…
WillPS

Philip wrote:
Not a fan of this at all. Much prefer the old-new logo to this new-old logo. Retro for retros sake…
I prefer it, I have to say. Still think the original logo is the best one though.

Wouldn't be surprised to see BK doing something similar.
Finn

Philip wrote:
I'm conflicted. Clearly italics are 'out' now in terms of logo design, so the old logo had to go, but this version really looks dated to me without being a design classic in the way that the Co-op one was.
james2001

WillPS wrote:Here you go: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.95615 ... 312!8i6656

Still there according to Street View. Lovely stuff. A shame the centre it's engraved upon is such a shit hole.
Explains why I've never seen it then, I've never walked past it on the outside of the centre, only on the inside!

The Jessops sign on the inside with the old JLP logo was definately still there in the mid-00s, after it became John Lewis. Haven't been in there in years though,.

And on that picture moving to the right slightly and looking at the picture on that bus.... gah :o :shock:
WillPS