Another High Street Rebrand

Philip

I didn't realise they'd been in the UK since 2003. Only known of them for last few years.

This is a retread of the whole Pasta Hut thing then.
Square Eyes

Krispy Kreme was indeed an April Fool.

Seems that April Fools are no longer what they used to be. In that they can go out on March 30th.
james2001

The whole world feels like one big april fool these days.

In fact any story which seems sensible is probably the april fool with the current state of things.
Alexia

Square Eyes wrote: Sat 01 Apr, 2017 15.20 Krispy Kreme was indeed an April Fool.

Seems that April Fools are no longer what they used to be. In that they can go out on March 30th.
Needs to be in the social media sphere long enough to get actually shared and repeated ad nauseum in the run up to April Fools, when it will be in the regular news media outlets on the day itself. No good perpetrating a meme hoping it reaches mass-world penetration in the 12 hours you actually are allowed to carry out April Fools gags. It will only get "noticed" on April 2nd, 3rd etc.
JAS84

The 12 hour thing doesn't apply on the Internet, it's more like 48 hours. Not all countries limit it to 12 hours instead of 24, and differing timezones has an effect too.

Oh, and that Krispy Kreme thing had to be fake - it would've invalidated their rather significant product placement in the new Power Rangers movie.
JAS84

The Walmart sunburst seems have vanished from Asda's logo in adverts run over the last week or two. Have they got rid of it?
woah

JAS84 wrote: Sun 09 Apr, 2017 22.00 The Walmart sunburst seems have vanished from Asda's logo in adverts run over the last week or two. Have they got rid of it?
I doubt it, they've rolled it out to a few stores now and it remains on everything online. It did seem a fairly pointless change though, adding a little sun to the corner of their logo will make precisely zero difference to anything they do and the business itself continues to do poorly.

ASDA in general is in real need of an overhaul - in my opinion, their own brand food range is poor quality, their stores (even the newer ones) aren't that nice, and they've lost their way as low cost supermarket - the prices are often still good but Aldi and Lidl are even cheaper, and offer better quality food with a more interesting range.

You only have to look at how business at Morrisons has improved over the last year or so - I suspect it's to do with the fact that the new logo and branding are far more appealing, there's much more focus on "made in store" and quality, and the range of food on offer is much better too. ASDA really needs to create a new image for itself and carve out it's space in the market.
Critique

I've not been in a Morrisons in years so can't comment on the quality of stores now, but ASDA certainly continue to feel like the most downmarket of the main supermarkets IMO. I went into a store that I think had been recently refitted a little while back and it still didn't look great - I'm sure there's a nice way to incorporate the green but they hadn't found it, and the black shelving (which I supposed combined with the green is meant to look nice) just seemed a bit strange. They still use that handwriting font on all their SELs too, afaik.

Compare that with Sainsbury's and Tesco, who have some very nice looking stores inside (bar Sainsbury's ill thought food dancing campaign being everywhere in store), and ASDA do seem to be some steps behind.

My local store also seems to be a bit of an oddity in that it has a separate entertainment section behind the main row of checkouts. This is strange as it means you either have to go to the kiosk or walk around the till lane to be the right side of the tills.

On another note, I saw a picture of the inside a Co-op store on Twitter and thought how much better off it looked with the new branding inside. I think the permanent signage was all still Co-operative style, but with all the SELs and promo material using the new logo it looked much better.

Hang on, they've ditched green and look much better for it - could another supermarket take anything from that...?
WillPS

Asda changed all their SELs to use a sans-serif font earlier in the year.

https://twitter.com/C_P_Randall/status/ ... 0861686784
Pear

JAS84 wrote: Sun 09 Apr, 2017 22.00 The Walmart sunburst seems have vanished from Asda's logo in adverts run over the last week or two. Have they got rid of it?
They've now disappeared from their social media profile pictures. I also recently saw a picture of a new product in their 'great shape' range featuring a sun-less Asda logo too. Pretty pointless ditching them, then again it was pretty pointless putting them there in the first place - but at least it brightened up a rather dull logo.
Philip

How odd! They've just replaced the signage at my nearest ASDA as well.