Another High Street Rebrand

wells

WillPS wrote:For a brand with the cache of Cadburys Dairy Milk, it's surprising how often they seem to revise their branding. Are they losing market share or something?
If they are, the new shape might partly be to blame. It's interesting how often Dairy Milk does seem to change, especially compared to Mars* and Nestle products which seldom do.

*Having said that, Galaxy seem to have had a few redesigns and seems to be going through another at the moment.
DJDave

So Crunchie is dropping it's own branding I see, as long as they leave Wispa alone :D
Jonny

DJDave wrote:So Crunchie is dropping it's own branding I see, as long as they leave Wispa alone :D
They sell large blocks of Dairy Milk with Crunchie pieces in them, I assume it's the packaging for that.
tillyoshea

DJDave wrote:So Crunchie is dropping it's own branding I see, as long as they leave Wispa alone :D
And Caramel also dropping it's own brand. Again. Seems like no more than a couple of years since they made a big deal of giving it back it's own brand and bringing the bunny back. And I'm sure the creative blurb for that decision included the "fact" that it was important to have different brands to target different market sectors - Caramel was going upmarket, as I recall.

It's the same cycle M&S constantly rotates through: "We're losing market share because we've lost our focus. It's important to have a strong unified brand for everything, underlining our core values - axe all the sub-brands!" followed within years by "We're losing market share because we only appeal to a few people. Our core brand can't appeal to everyone - bring on the differentiating sub-brands!". Rinse and repeat.
wells

tillyoshea wrote:And Caramel also dropping it's own brand. Again. Seems like no more than a couple of years since they made a big deal of giving it back it's own brand and bringing the bunny back. And I'm sure the creative blurb for that decision included the "fact" that it was important to have different brands to target different market sectors - Caramel was going upmarket, as I recall.
The thing is given the shape of the bar, we don't know if the one shown was intended for this market or not.
Chris J

wells wrote:
thegeek wrote:I understand that the whole Jersey VAT loophole has been closed, which sort of killed off the cheap CDs and DVDs racket - but I don't understand why Rakuten aren't using the play.com brand for their new streaming service. You know, the one with yer actual Buzz Aldrin in the adverts. And the really memorable name.
The whole Rakuten things seems like madness to me too. What they've done is a bit like an unknown company buying Google then relegating it to a secondary brand.

Also what's the website address? You'd think it was rakutenplay.com from the header and emails call it Rakutan's Play.com, all a bit confusing. Surely all the English language websites they run should probably just adopt the brilliantly simple Play brand?
They did exactly the same thing to US site Buy.com - a perhaps even more memorable domain name, which has now fully transitioned to Rakuten.com. I presume Play.com will eventually transition to Rankuten.com as its UK arm.

Also, based on this awful corporate video on their US site, I bet not one of us has been pronouncing it correctly.
Pete

On the subject of pronunciation, I note Lidl have given up their attempts to have use use german vowels and are now using "all these lidl things" as a tagline...

oh and they're doing telly too. Are they losing out to Aldi?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Square Eyes

WillPS wrote:For a brand with the cache of Cadburys Dairy Milk, it's surprising how often they seem to revise their branding. Are they losing market share or something?
Probably. Wonka bars are where its at now :)
martindtanderson

I think this counts as High Street. Philips has updated their logo.
http://brandingsource.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... ilips.html
rdobbie

Three years after the takeover, I find it interesting that Kraft has never placed its own logo on the back of any Cadbury's product, contrary to its usual policy of doing this to every acquired brand in its extensive global portfolio. I assume this may be to do with the negative feeling towards Kraft in the UK at the way the Cadbury's takeover was handled (particularly the broken promises on job losses).

I also note that Kraft-owned Toblerone have infiltrated this year's boxes of Cadbury's Heroes despite them not being a Cadbury's product. Maybe we'll also see Terry's Chocolate Orange segments appearing in the future?
WillPS

rdobbie wrote:Three years after the takeover, I find it interesting that Kraft has never placed its own logo on the back of any Cadbury's product, contrary to its usual policy of doing this to every acquired brand in its extensive global portfolio. I assume this may be to do with the negative feeling towards Kraft in the UK at the way the Cadbury's takeover was handled (particularly the broken promises on job losses).

I also note that Kraft-owned Toblerone have infiltrated this year's boxes of Cadbury's Heroes despite them not being a Cadbury's product. Maybe we'll also see Terry's Chocolate Orange segments appearing in the future?
Possibly to do with Kraft themselves spinning off Kraft Foods and rebranding as Mondelēz.