Another High Street Rebrand

WillPS

The Guardian's new logo has been revealed: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/ ... nline-apps

The paper goes tabloid on Monday.

I don't like it as much as the previous two.
scottishtv wrote: Tue 09 Jan, 2018 18.24
Pete wrote: Sun 30 Mar, 2014 15.06This seems to be a thing with architect drawings of shopping centres, blatantly using a logo but altering it slightly. It does increase the realism significantly. One of Dundee's shopping centres is planning a revamp and its plans included a sign for "Waganoodle" amongst others
Ah, finally found this post. A recent planning application for more retail units at Straiton near Edinburgh, has treated us to: Coffee Hero, Fred Barker, Top Stuff, Woodland and J&N amongst others.

Presumably the colourful logos and windows full of goods are there to distract the councillors from the fact they're approving another row of boxy retail units at this site... and an application that seems a bit crapper than the first version too.
I do enjoy those Aldi-ised brands architects use.
WillPS

sqwidge1978 wrote: Fri 08 Dec, 2017 22.45
WillPS wrote: Fri 08 Dec, 2017 11.37 Hammerson only really want the out of town supercentres. I expect they'll be stripped of Intu branding and the reduced Intu portfolio sold off either as a whole or centre-by-centre.

Doesn't bode well for the poor old Broadmarsh centre in Nottingham though, now on its 6th or 7th redevelopment proposal in the last 2 decades, no ground broken on any of them.

https://twitter.com/intuBroadmarsh/stat ... 5777406977
Nice to see Argo Broadmarsh still using the original 1970s branding :)

Just learned this store is to move in to Sainsburys next month. I'll go and take some photos in the next few weeks.
thegeek

WillPS wrote: Fri 12 Jan, 2018 10.11 The Guardian's new logo has been revealed: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/ ... nline-apps

This was my first thought:
WillPS

thegeek wrote: Fri 12 Jan, 2018 10.53
WillPS wrote: Fri 12 Jan, 2018 10.11 The Guardian's new logo has been revealed: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/ ... nline-apps

This was my first thought:
Yes! I knew it seemed familiar.
Philip

I noticed that the Simple line of skincare products have changed their logo slightly, with 'Simple' now in title case instead of all lowercase like it was previously. Though I only spotted this because old and new were side-by-side on the shelf, it's such a subtle change I'm not sure why they've bothered.
Martin Phillp

The new masthead on tomorrow's Guardian.

TVF's London Lite.
all new Phil

Some real nasty spacing going on there. The top half looks too cluttered and the text looks a few sizes too big. The articles below have some odd looking spaces between headline and text.

Dislike.
Alexia

Also not really seeing the need for a separate masthead font. That's three fonts they're now using in general circulation. Also the black-on-white is....boring.
Philip

It looks really similar to The Times' front page design to me, especially the fonts, which isn't good if you're wanting to stand out from the other 'quality' paper that is printed at tabloid size.

A shame as before the move to the Berliner format The Guardian had a very distinctive and unique front page design, with its use of (gasp!) a sans serif font in Helvetica. (Okay, the italicised Garamond is probably a bit dated now, I'll give you that).

all new Phil

“With two pull-out sections”

Does anyone actually pull them out? I always get annoyed at pull-outs within pull-outs, especially when I miss a financial pull-out completely because it’s inside a sport pull-out. JUST HAVE BLOODY SECTIONS.
thegeek

Alexia wrote: Sun 14 Jan, 2018 23.00 Also not really seeing the need for a separate masthead font. That's three fonts they're now using in general circulation. Also the black-on-white is....boring.
I believe they tried mocks with the Egyptian masthead and tabloid sizes in the past and couldn't get it to work.