Another High Street Rebrand

gottago

For a generation over 30, Fridays occupies a special place in eharts (sic) and minds
Yes as a shithole I went to in the later stages of my teenage years when their higher prices made me think I was more grown up even though the food was lower quality than any of the cheap fast food places I normally went to. Surely no one has fond memories of TGIs - sorry, 'Fridays'?! And yes I agree they've dropped the wrong part of the name.
Pete

cwathen wrote: Sun 02 Aug, 2020 20.40
bilky asko wrote: Sun 02 Aug, 2020 14.54 Wetherspoons staff weren't fired, were they?
Basically, Tim Martin badly delivered a long, rambling speech which was equally badly written (I would suggest whilst either a bit drunk or a bit hungover). At the end of it, he said if any of his staff wanted to go and work for a supermarket for Tesco had mentioned needing many extra staff then they should feel able to do that, and would get first preference to be rehired when Spoons reopened. This was after mentioning the government furlough scheme. The jungle drums of the left then reversioned it as if he had quite literally said 'I'm sacking you, fuck off to Tescos' and that's now become the accepted version of the truth for many people. I'm not claiming that he didn't knowingly drop that line in hoping that a few would resign to save any liability if he had to lay people off, but that is many miles short of what it is commonly claimed he has said. Certainly since reopening the two local Spoons that I frequent have exactly the same staff in them.

TBH, the far greater scandal involving Wetherspoons is the suggestion that they may not have paid their suppliers - some of which will be small Mom & Pop businesses.
I think I'm getting them mixed up with Cineworld (?) who made staff redundant then quickly re-employed them. The not paying the staff / not paying the suppliers bit was a shitty nevertheless and has put them in my bad books.

Tesco I think have weathered this incredibly well.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
all new Phil

I can confirm that Cineworld did that.
JAS84

New Sports Direct logo.
WillPS

I feel sorry for the graphic designers who had to deliver that.
Finn

WillPS wrote: Sun 09 Aug, 2020 09.34 I feel sorry for the graphic designers who had to deliver that.
Honestly, I think they got an unpaid intern to do that...
bilky asko

WillPS wrote: Sun 09 Aug, 2020 09.34 I feel sorry for the graphic designers who had to deliver that.
They seem to have hit the brief excellently, though!
thegeek

Is that Gotham Italic? I think there's a reason I've not seen it used much before.
all new Phil

I’d say there’s certainly a skill in making something look so shit but simultaneously so recognisable.
Martin Phillp

While I hate it, it's bang on target for those who really like their Lonsdale trackies.
TVF's London Lite.
WillPS

Looks like Debenhams is preparing to close down now: https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... iquidation