Another High Street Rebrand

Alexia

People still use salt?
simonipswich1

Liked the comment "the old packaging looked cheap"... well doesn't look a lot different now! Also the logo has hardly changed either!
james2001

This martketing puff is always laughable, how they try to make barely changing the packaging to what is a very mundane and basic product sound exciting and revolutionary.
Philip

So, that BT rebrand. Never happened I take it?

I’m in the countryside at the moment with no mobile phone signal, just a landline phone and intermittent ADSL broadband with a usage cap, though thankfully there is TV aerial reception (except for COM7 and COM8). Been walking a lot and taking notice of how much BT phone boxes are stuck in a 1991 branding time warp, still using branding that was ditched 14 years ago. I know the reason why of course, but it’s still funny, a burst of nostalgia when you see them. Phone boxes that were upgraded some years ago to ‘phone + email + text’ have been downgraded back to a basic pay phone, but they haven’t bothered taking the sticker off.

As an aside, seven years ago I was staying somewhere that didn’t even have a landline, just Freeview TV for communication with the outside world. There was however a phone box literally over the road, opposite to where I was saying. This would have been great, if only for the fact that no BT phone box I’ve ever encountered in the last 10 years has actually worked. and then they go and stick a notice saying ‘this phone box has insufficient usage for us to continue maintaining it’. As if they had been maintaining it previously.
thegeek

They withdrew their application for the colour version, though the mono version got registered.

Here in that London, there have been a few variations on phone kiosks which still retain enough functionality to be classed as a phone box for planning permission purposes, but are clearly primarily there as outdoor advertising. For example, the InLink, which lets you make free calls, provided you don't mind doing them on speakerphone, or have your own headphones with you. Bloody fast WiFi though.

See also the Maximus kiosk, which some councils are pushing back on.
Philip

thegeek wrote: Thu 27 Jul, 2017 21.59 They withdrew their application for the colour version, though the mono version got registered.

Here in that London, there have been a few variations on phone kiosks which still retain enough functionality to be classed as a phone box for planning permission purposes, but are clearly primarily there as outdoor advertising. For example, the InLink, which lets you make free calls, provided you don't mind doing them on speakerphone, or have your own headphones with you. Bloody fast WiFi though.

See also the Maximus kiosk, which some councils are pushing back on.
Ah, thanks for that, I either missed that in the thread originally or I’ve forgotten about it. I have in the past few days seen an old red phone box being used to house a defribrillator now, which is a sound idea.
Philip

Don't really know where to put this, doesn't need its own thread but I thought it would make good Metropol fodder.

Went to the Vue in the Manchester Printworks last week. It was actually previously an Odeon but they were forced to sell it by the Competition and Markets Authority earlier this year: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... e-12914883

It's funny to go to at the moment because all the interior is still painted blue and the old Odeon signage in that blocky font is still in use, but elsewhere there's the orange colour scheme and the Vue logo on things like the box office and the popcorn boxes and that kind of thing. They apparently have changed the seats however. Don't know how long it'll be before they give it a refurb, so go now if you want to see a Vue cinema with Odeon branding all over it.
Critique

I remember a similar sort-of thing happening what must be about 15 years ago now, when UGC (remember them?) sold their Ipswich cinema (and perhaps the lot?) to Cineworld, with UGC having bought it from Virgin Cinemas in the first place. For what I think was a decent amount of time things operated with a right mishmash of branding - I really clearly remember some CRTs that seemed to have no purpose than to display a logo which all had the UGC logo on, along with all the staff uniform, despite them having transitioned over to Cineworld by that point.

A couple of years later the Odeon here closed down, and the building hasn't been occupied since. The scar of the old logo is still really clearly visible on the building, and you can date when the cinema was closed as it still had a physical board with the names of films being shown above the (now boarded up) entrance - I always pick out 'Legally Blonde 2' whenever I walk past!
WillPS

Critique wrote: Wed 02 Aug, 2017 01.28 I remember a similar sort-of thing happening what must be about 15 years ago now, when UGC (remember them?) sold their Ipswich cinema (and perhaps the lot?) to Cineworld, with UGC having bought it from Virgin Cinemas in the first place. For what I think was a decent amount of time things operated with a right mishmash of branding - I really clearly remember some CRTs that seemed to have no purpose than to display a logo which all had the UGC logo on, along with all the staff uniform, despite them having transitioned over to Cineworld by that point.

A couple of years later the Odeon here closed down, and the building hasn't been occupied since. The scar of the old logo is still really clearly visible on the building, and you can date when the cinema was closed as it still had a physical board with the names of films being shown above the (now boarded up) entrance - I always pick out 'Legally Blonde 2' whenever I walk past!
Nottingham Cornerhouse cinema opened as a Warner Village in 2000, became a UGC in 2003 then became Cineworld 2 years later. Other than the ticket desk, and the extra screens which opened under UGC, nothing much changed until the place was refitted about 5 years ago. I bet there's still Warner Village remnants around.
Andrew

My local "Bargain Buys" which was previously known as "Discount UK" is rebranding as "Poundworld Plus"

I don't know if this is happening nationwide.
Martin Phillp

I don't know why Poundworld doesn't just rebrand as Poundworld Plus for all their stores, considering they also like Poundland are selling items for more than £1.
TVF's London Lite.