Another High Street Rebrand

AgainWTheNorth

Well, it depends on the elevation of the track.
Then again, I'm an American - what do I know?
Alexia

AgainWTheNorth wrote: Fri 24 Feb, 2017 00.55 Well, it depends on the elevation of the track.
Arriva also run buses, so they do serve high streets as well.

(High Level used more often on railways in UK to differentiate two stations in same locality; although both Newport and Swansea used to have the "High Street" appendage)

Talking of Railways, SSP (Pumpkin, Upper Crust et al) have rebranded their railside operation from Rail Gourmet to the more generic RG to apparently help them bid for non-rail contracts. (although their website is still at railgourmet.com for now)
WillPS

I imagine when Arriva Trains Wales comes up for renewal (next year?) they'll loose the Arriva brand, even if Arriva retain their franchise.
Alexia

WillPS wrote: Sat 25 Feb, 2017 10.37 I imagine when Arriva Trains Wales comes up for renewal (next year?) they'll loose the Arriva brand, even if Arriva retain their franchise.
I would hope so. Parent company names are on the way out, generic brands are in (apart from the sop to keeping Mr Branson happy). The repainting and revinyling of rolling stock seems to have slowed/stopped (or in the cases of the 175s, not even started!) so with just 1 year left, it looks like Arriva can go arrivaderci.
nidave

One of the things the DFT are trying to do is have a constant brand across franchise owners.. sort of like TfL and Overground.
Andrew

nidave wrote: Sat 25 Feb, 2017 12.53 One of the things the DFT are trying to do is have a constant brand across franchise owners.. sort of like TfL and Overground.
We will find out probably in about 10 years time if that works, when the 'generic name' franchises (GWR, Northern, Transpennine Express) start to expire again, although I bet it won't, as the new owners will be dying to rebrand with a fresh new image.
Pete

Andrew wrote: Sat 25 Feb, 2017 23.41
nidave wrote: Sat 25 Feb, 2017 12.53 One of the things the DFT are trying to do is have a constant brand across franchise owners.. sort of like TfL and Overground.
We will find out probably in about 10 years time if that works, when the 'generic name' franchises (GWR, Northern, Transpennine Express) start to expire again, although I bet it won't, as the new owners will be dying to rebrand with a fresh new image.
Although of course with Scotrail we've already had a change of franchisee and the branding continued unchanged.

I'm not sure comparing it to London Overground is quite right though, LO gives the impression that its run directly by TfL and you'd be hard pressed to realise its contracted out.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
nidave

Pete wrote: Sun 26 Feb, 2017 09.23
Andrew wrote: Sat 25 Feb, 2017 23.41
Although of course with Scotrail we've already had a change of franchisee and the branding continued unchanged.

I'm not sure comparing it to London Overground is quite right though, LO gives the impression that its run directly by TfL and you'd be hard pressed to realise its contracted out.
Scotrail is a great example.. if it was not for the news then most people would not know who ran it. compared to First Scotrail with the massive first branding. I do think the Overground analogy is apt as we are getting a lot of networks from the PTEs.

Like West Midlands Railway who will have one brand for all their services no matter who is the actual operator
Andrew

What a horrible livery.

We used to have a county specific livery in West Yorkshire, but i'm not sure it ever worked as very few services stay within the county boundary, so you'd have MetroTrain trains in Manchester, Blackpool, Sheffield, and that's before you factor in trains allocated wrongly, so you'd get Merseyrail and Tyne & Wear branded trains in West Yorks as well.
thegeek

SPT(E) used to have their own livery - initially "Strathclyde red" (a rather natty shade of orange), then a rather more tasteful carmine and cream. It's all gone now - I think because SPT no longer subsidise the services.
JAS84

Looks liike Aldi is changing from this:
To this: