Another High Street Rebrand

james2001

You've got CWS and CRS mixed up in your post!
WillPS

james2001 wrote:You've got CWS and CRS mixed up in your post!
Whooops. Now corrected :)
Col

Rainbow was an Anglia Co-op brand as opposed to East of England; the name was dropped as part of the 2008 Co-operative rebrand.

Meanwhile, instore radio is still using the Co-operative Radio jingle package: presenter links are now by-and-large Co-op Radio.
Solent James

Waterstone's appear to be experimenting with a potential rebrand, their store in West Quay, Southampton has a new uppercase logo on the the outside however elsewhere in the store their lowercase logo is used...

james2001

How many co-operative societies are there still now? There can't be that many left now, at one time there used to be hundreds. When I was younger the shops & department stores around here were part of the Greater Nottingham Co-op, they merged into CWS at some time in the 90s.

Some places near here are run by the Central England Co-op, but even that''s from a merger of Midlands and Anglia in recent years, and the Sheffield Co-op merged with United, which not long after became part of the main co-operative group within the past decade too. The number of remaining co-operatives seems to be diminishing all the time.
cwathen

james2001 wrote:How many co-operative societies are there still now? There can't be that many left now, at one time there used to be hundreds. When I was younger the shopes & department stores around here were part of the Greater Nottingham Co-op, they merged into CWS at some time in the 90s.

Some places near here are run by the Central England Co-op, but even that''s from a merger of Midlands and Anglia in recent years, and the Sheffield Co-op merged with United, which not long after became part of the main co-operative group within the past decade too. The number of remaining co-operatives seems to be diminishing all the time.
22 according to Wikipedia, with The Co-Operative Group being (significantly) bigger than all the rest put together.
Critique

This WIkipedia article would have you believe there are 22 Co-operative societies left in the UK, including the Co-operative group itself. It's interesting that some of them literally only have one store, but still use the Co-operative group as a supplier.
thegeek

WillPS wrote:I can't wait to see this rather 70s funeral parlour, which I always felt looked better with the propriety branding Sheffield Co-op used, with a massive cloverleaf on its high-pitched roof.
I hope they do something sympathetic to the the fascia in Walthamstow - it's in a lovely building (check out the beehive in the masonry - and while you're at it, the inviting window display), but the signage along the block lets it down. Hopefully they'll come up with something in line with the council's draft shopfront design guideines [pdf]
james2001

thegeek wrote:I hope they do something sympathetic to the the fascia in Walthamstow - it's in a lovely building (check out the beehive in the masonry - and while you're at it, the inviting window display)
Nothing's more inviting than open coffins! Maybe they should put some mannequin corpses in just to make it complete.
JAS84

Solent James wrote:Waterstone's appear to be experimenting with a potential rebrand, their store in West Quay, Southampton has a new uppercase logo on the the outside however elsewhere in the store their lowercase logo is used...
That's rather plain. It's just the name spelled out in Century Gothic?
james2001

I'm suprised they've tried changing the logo again after they went back on the last one they bought in.