Another High Street Rebrand

bilky asko

martindtanderson wrote:The Logo's colours will take on the chosen colour in the OS - Similar to the accent colour on Windows Phone.

These are the colours we know about from the leaks so far of Windows 8.

If Windows 7 is anything to go by, it should be possible to select any colour - I have to say it looks much nicer with other colours, and as I mentioned before white-on-colour.

If the logo is animated within the OS, hopefully decent rendering will produce a nice-looking result. It's also a massive advantage in terms of advertising, as it will be almost impossible for someobody to bugger up the way the logo is presented if is monochromatic.
martindtanderson

bilky asko wrote: If Windows 7 is anything to go by, it should be possible to select any colour - I have to say it looks much nicer with other colours, and as I mentioned before white-on-colour.

If the logo is animated within the OS, hopefully decent rendering will produce a nice-looking result. It's also a massive advantage in terms of advertising, as it will be almost impossible for someobody to bugger up the way the logo is presented if is monochromatic.
You say that, but according to the design agency Pentagram, the logo should be re-drawn for each size, to ensure the gaps between the tiles/pane on the windows symbol remain the same width. And on the Windows 8 blog post, they used a smaller drawn version of the logo, which is why the gaps are so big!

Also there will be a limited selection of colours you can pick from, but they have much more of an impact than the Aero Glass colour does, so the colour schemes have been carefully designed - hence the more limited choice.
cwathen

Also there will be a limited selection of colours you can pick from, but they have much more of an impact than the Aero Glass colour does, so the colour schemes have been carefully designed - hence the more limited choice.
Microsoft's history with restricting colour schemes does not bode well for this...with XP by default you only had a choice of fisher price blue, overly cold silver, or some minging olive green scheme. With Vista you can have such essentials as pink and teal but not green (unless you want to get the custom colour mixer out anyway).
aeonsource

Neil DG wrote:
WillPS wrote:Image

No I don't like it.
It feels very retro.
For comparison, the logo of the first version of Windows.
:V
Malpass93

cwathen wrote:Microsoft's history with restricting colour schemes does not bode well for this...with XP by default you only had a choice of fisher price blue, overly cold silver, or some minging olive green scheme.
Wasn't there two blues? I seem to remember the standard blue and 'Energy Blue', whatever that means. It reminds me of when sportswear companies refer to colours like "electricity", otherwise known as orange.
The New Malpass.
JAS84

That scheme was only on the Media Centre edition. The standard selection for Windows XP was indeed blue, silver, and olive green.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP_themes
Alexia

Easily hacked though, with msstyles all over the web.
lukey

cwathen wrote:
Microsoft's history with restricting colour schemes does not bode well for this...with XP by default you only had a choice of fisher price blue, overly cold silver, or some minging olive green scheme. With Vista you can have such essentials as pink and teal but not green (unless you want to get the custom colour mixer out anyway).
To be fair, XP-era themes were all bitmap-based, so the colour limits were understandable. Re: Vista/7, I'm not sure what your point is - you can't have a colour...unless you....pick....it?
WillPS

Going back to University's rebranding unnecessarily - my university, Sheffield Hallam, has begun it's second rebrand inside of a decade.

Early 00s:

Mid 00s:

2012:

So they've spent another god knows how much of tuition fee revenue on getting a graphic designer to copy The Guardian. Brilliant.

I now face having to either use an outdated logo on my work or breaking the rigid consistency of my presentation for a new, bland, logo. Was it really necessary to dispose of the Hallam crest?
rdobbie

The mind boggles as to how these universities can justify spending such huge sums of money on rebrands, especially when the logo just involves the designer picking out a nice font and a couple of Pantone colours.

It's the same story with Salford University who've spent an incredible £132,000 on a similar thing:

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchesterevening ... manchester

What's even worse is that the Uni has its own faculty of graphic design, but instead thought it was prudent to give £132,000 to a London agency. I'm sure one of their own students would have happily done something better for free, and would have been delighted with the kudos it gave to his/her CV.
tillyoshea

rdobbie wrote:It's the same story with Salford University who've spent an incredible £132,000 on a similar thing:

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchesterevening ... manchester
Article above wrote:The University of Salford brand is much more than a logo or design. It was the result of extensive research and consultation, including with more than 500 students and staff who were asked about which university values were important to them.
So, presumably, the most important thing to students and staff was "it's near Manchester"...