Another High Street Rebrand

m-in-m

Critique wrote:Whilst most of you talk about your wonderful new Catalogue machines in your new, refitted Argos stores, the same doesn't apply here. Old logo on the front, old, blue, keypad style Stock Checkers, which is beginning to look very dated. All of this, complete with an old CRT TV. The reason my local store may have not yet had a re-fit could be because, I think, my local store got a load of old style Stock checkers when the local iNDEX store closed.
Not all stores have yet been refitted. It is likely that stores in lower bands will be refitted later. Certainly my local store is yet to be refitted.
m-in-m

Pete wrote:
m-in-m wrote:I have to say having stayed in one of their hotels I would have been rather annoyed had I paid for their Costa Coffee and Croisaint breakfast - considering their Costa machine had broken by the morning and it was down to the same coffee you could make in your room. For something like £2.95 I can imagine a few people being rather annoyed.
The Premier Inn I was in recently also had a faulty coffee machine that during my two week stay was broken three times.

Also, coffee and croissant breakfast? Surely when in a hotel only the full blown buffet is acceptable (and my my did I pig out at that breakfast buffet every morning.)
The coffee and croissant breakfast was designed for people who needed breakfast on the go. I agree whenever in a hotel you have to take full advantage of the breakfast that is available; particularly when drink has been involved the previous night.
JAS84

New store opening in Hull tomorrow called Discount UK. Their delivery vans are Poundworld ones, so I wonder if Poundworld will eventually drop the everything £1 model and convert the stores to the Dioscount UK name?

www.discountuk.com
WillPS

Discount UK and Poundworld are planned to expand together.

Poundworld itself was the subject of Undercover Boss on Tuesday. Some very very shark-like practices, including making staff responsible for their till losses and docking 2 hours for failing to clock in. The "problem" necessitating their appearance on the programme was their inability to retain staff, with a churn of 25%. The programme then spent the entire time pretty much ignoring the fact they only pay minimum wage and not a penny more, and then subtract from that!

At the end, the "boss" concluded they couldn't up the wage as that's the nature of the business, but sent a handful of employees on holidays. Woo-bloody-hoo.
wells

JAS84 wrote:New store opening in Hull tomorrow called Discount UK. Their delivery vans are Poundworld ones, so I wonder if Poundworld will eventually drop the everything £1 model and convert the stores to the Dioscount UK name?

http://www.discountuk.com
99p stores were supposed to launch as 'Family Bargains' here in Redditch but obviously it hadn't worked that well as where in the country as they eventually opened as 99p stores.

I don't think the Poundland expansion into Ireland has been mentioned on here, for obvious reasons the brand will not be Poundland or Euroland but Dealz, one wonders whether the stores will take exactly the same format and be fixed price, surprised they didn't go with the name Dealland or similar to keep it in line with the UK brand.
nwtv2003

Didn't realise until I read this thread that Poundworld and Discount UK were the same company, we've had a Discount UK for about 6 months on a retail park in Warrington, went in there today and stocked up on soft drinks (on a long car journey tomorrow) and was pleasantly surprised, looks better than Poundworld dare I say it.
steve
JAS84

nwtv2003 wrote:Didn't realise until I read this thread that Poundworld and Discount UK were the same company, we've had a Discount UK for about 6 months on a retail park in Warrington, went in there today and stocked up on soft drinks (on a long car journey tomorrow) and was pleasantly surprised, looks better than Poundworld dare I say it.
Six months? Then why on earth does the Discount UK website just have a logo and "COMING SOON" on it, and the Poundworld website make no mention of Discount UK? I'd assumed Discount UK was a totally new brand and that Hull was the first branch under that name.
cwathen

My old stomping ground, Plymouth Uni, has just undergone a rebrand and change of name. They are no longer 'The University of Plymouth' but are now 'Plymouth University'.

Their old logo had survived (albeit with a slight facelift in 2002) for almost 20 years from 1992 when they became a university up until recent weeks when the branding went live. It's roots date back even further than that - it's actual a small part of the defunct Polytechnic South West logo from the 1980's.

I often deride modern branding for being devoid of any actual iconic graphic deisgn and simply being text in a pre-existing font which could be knocked up in Word in 10 seconds, but this time there isn't even that. The 'brand' consists of a series of taglines 'Enterprise with Plymouth University', 'Research with Plymouth University', 'Study with Plymouth Unviersity' etc but there is no actual 'Plymouth University' corporate logo at all.

Despite this, the replacement brand (by some outfit called 'Buddy and Here') apparently took 18 months to develop and initial costs for the design work were £90,000. Lets now see how long it takes them to replace all the signeage...when I left in 2006 there were still brand new documents being produced with the 1992 rather than 2002 version of the logo, and there are plenty of buildings with 1992 signs on which were never replaced.

http://www.designweek.co.uk/buddy-and-h ... 68.article
wells

Whilst on the subject of educational establishments, in near by Longbridge a new multi-million pound campus of Bournville College has just opened on the former MG Rover site.

This was their old logo.

But I really like how they've incorporated the shape of their new build into the college's new logo.

AxG

Whilst walking, I saw a British Gas van, however the big difference was a new logo.

http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/sect ... -identity/

James L H

The current logo looks better in my opinion. I don't know why but I feel the new British Gas logo reminds me of the new-ish 'N Power' logo.