Another High Street Rebrand

ashley b

Here's a look mat the logos of the Greater Manchester Councils. Some horrific, some not so horrific.

In the last few years, Trafford council has had a major rebrand from this:
Image To this: Image

Salford on the other hand have had a more subtle rebrand from this:
Image to this: Image

I've also just discovered that Bury council have rebranded from thier rather dated logo:
Image to one that looks like it's been done in word art: Image

Oldham's another to rebrand recently, changing from:
Image to Image

As has Bolton, by the same design agency as Oldham and Salford, though I can't find an example of it's old logo:

Manchester, Rochdale and Stockport all opt for coat of arms type logos and haven't changed recently, not that they need to really:
Image Image Image

Unlike Tameside:
*whistle*
Luke-H

I've always like the North Yorkshire County Council logo, having grown up with it. No idea how long it's been around though.

Selby District's logo is also quite nice, although it looks better without the box, which is very seldom used.
steddenm

I like this one...

LaSeandre

This is my councils's logo, which hasn't changed (apart from a font adjustment) since it was formed from part of the old Strathclyde Regional Council in the late 90s:

bilky asko

madmusician wrote:Image

That is Suffolk County Council's logo - nothing special, but not too bad either.
Why have they one the "3D" so badly? It looks like they started off with a cube, but decided to change it into a shield.
martindtanderson

Its nice seeing all these quaint and cheesy logos for UK councils/cities, but who and how will the best ones be decided, perhaps we need a poll, a metropoll.

<groans>
rdobbie

ashley b wrote:Oldham's another to rebrand recently, changing from:
Image to Image
That's the one that cost £100,000. Yep, you heard right. They paid an advertising agency ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND POUNDS to design that. Absolutely un-bloody-believeable. It must have taken all of 2 minutes in Adobe Illustrator.
Cache

bilky asko wrote:Image

My County Council's logo - I'd say it's pretty nice.
Well, it's safe to say that I have never before noticed that it's an n and a y sandwiched together, even though I've lived here for what, 5 years? I thought it was a g.

I demand an immediate rebrand.
steddenm

Mattarz wrote:

Well, it's safe to say that I have never before noticed that it's an n and a y sandwiched together, even though I've lived here for what, 5 years? I thought it was a g.

Why would North Yorkshire County Council have a 'g' as their logo?
Invent Meridian

steddenm wrote:
Mattarz wrote:

Why would North Yorkshire County Council have a 'g' as their logo?
Why do Birds fly? Why do Fish swim?
Parbold 103.53

ashley b wrote:Here's a look mat the logos of the Greater Manchester Councils. Some horrific, some not so horrific.
You missed one - unless, of course, you were waiting for me to put it up, with me living in the borough and all that.

The missing one is:

I think the idea is to make the right hand half look like a tick, as if some schoolteacher's marked the council and deemed it acceptable. Which it isn't, but that's another story.

I much prefer their original logo, which incidentally was shared by Wigan Athletic FC before they too rebranded:

(As an aside, the town's pre-1974 crest is still in use, as the logo of Wigan RLFC.)

Concerning the former Warrington crest:

I suspect the secularist element objected to the fact that it mentioned God, albeit in Latin (the motto is "Deus Dat Incrementum" - God gives the increase) - which presumably gave the powers that be an excuse for a complete rebrand. I could, of course, be completely wrong about that, but that's my theory.