British Summer Time

Is it time we stayed on BST all year round?

Yes
52%
No
48%

Total votes: 23
cwathen

Well it worked out OK for me last night - the pub we were in was supposed to close at 2. But since 2 was an hour later than usual, they effectively opened until 3.
DJGM

malcyb from WEBFAX wrote: Easy way to remember....
AUTUMN FALL... SPRING FORWARD
A catchier (and better IMO) way of saying that is . . . "Spring Forward, Fall Back."
russnet

Re-it-er-ate wrote:Around 2am they go back don't they?

This means in theory the news channels clocks would go 1.57..1.58..1.59..1.00..1.01....?

Another hour on air for the overnight presenter?
Well except News 24 can't handle the change. Going by memory from one particular change, the on screen clock went off at 1.57 and didn't return with the hour change until half an hour later!

Sky News can normally compensate the change as they have an advert break onto the hour so the clock is not on screen at the time the adverts are played.
Aston

Well call me a traditionalist, but GMT = Greenwich Mean Time. The rest of the world has always set it's timezones by the hour with LONDON.

Would it not seem madness for the UK to not any longer be at that time? We'd be the laughing stock of the world!
Katherine

Can't stand the bloody summer and long periods of daylight - I get so hyperactive! I can't concentrate on anything for long, my sleep patterns go out the window and I only get an average of five hours per night, my behaviour reaches the verge of 'manic', and the humidity gives me so many headaches!!

The winter months I just adore - the darkness acts as a natural sedative as your body produces more melatonin (darkness makes the body produce more), I concentrate for much longer, I sleep far better (average of 8 hours per night) and I feel a hell of a lot more balanced.
Digifiend

Tarbuck wrote:Well call me a traditionalist, but GMT = Greenwich Mean Time. The rest of the world has always set it's timezones by the hour with LONDON.

Would it not seem madness for the UK to not any longer be at that time? We'd be the laughing stock of the world!
Quite right Aston! Central European Time? We have enough of a United Europe here as it is. Let's get rid of all EU laws eh? I think Her Majesty would have something to say about using CET instead of GMT anyway. She's already protested about the consitution...
MarkN

Digifiend wrote:[Her Majesty has] already protested about the consitution...
Where did you hear about this? I can't remember hearing or reading this anywhere.
Neil Jones

James Martin wrote:As the opposite of Katherine - a SAD sufferer - I say we go to CET, it would be much nicer.
You suffer from so-called Seasonal Adjustment Disorder then James?

That's funny, so do I. But I don't think we we should go to CET, mainly because we're not in Europe in the first place (not physically anyway) and secondly the rest of the world sets its clocks by us anyway Greenwich Mean Time) as stated earlier.
Martin wrote:kida have to live with the darkness sooner or later and since the majority of them get dropped off and collected from school in people carriers I think thats just as much a sign of moving with the times and anything else.
I call it being idle, myself. The number of times I've seen our papergirl deliver our evening paper thanks to a lift from mum or dad in all weathers is quite sad really. But then its always the girls who have the lift, I've never seen a paperboy get a lift off his mum or dad for the sake of a few papers. They use a bike instead or walk, even in the rain. Now that's dedication :)
Aston

Neil Jones wrote:I call it being idle, myself. The number of times I've seen our papergirl deliver our evening paper thanks to a lift from mum or dad in all weathers is quite sad really. But then its always the girls who have the lift, I've never seen a paperboy get a lift off his mum or dad for the sake of a few papers. They use a bike instead or walk, even in the rain. Now that's dedication :)
If I was the parent I'd rather give the kid £20 myself then follow them on a paper round 5 mornings/nights a week...
Anonymous

The clocks go forward/backwards at 1am sharp

not 2am or 12am