Wireless Problems

Reeves

My laptop has been using a Belkin router for a while now, but I have various problems that need solving.

- My laptop is frequently losing its connection and needs to be reconnected.

- Whilst my laptop picks up signals all the time, and this was posted via my PSPs WiFi, my PC cannot pick up a high signal, if not any signal. I even get a two bar signal when the router is right by the PC.

- My PCs broadband modem refuses to connect when the router is plugged in, even when my PC cannot pick up its signal.
marksi

Change the channel the router is transmitting. There could be interference.
Reeves

marksi wrote:Change the channel the router is transmitting. There could be interference.
How do I do that?
james2001

You say it's a Belkin router? Pick it up and chuck it in the bin. They're a load of shite. I had one and had no end of problems with it. My aunt had the same router, and the same problems. Useless pile of shit. Wouldn't touch anything made by them again.
marksi

james2001 wrote:You say it's a Belkin router? Pick it up and chuck it in the bin. They're a load of shite. I had one and had no end of problems with it. My aunt had the same router, and the same problems. Useless pile of shit. Wouldn't touch anything made by them again.
I have to agree with that, we had one in the flat in London which sent Belkin spam instead of the requested web page once every four hours.

I like D-Link stuff. It's reasonably priced and reliable.
Reeves

james2001 wrote:You say it's a Belkin router? Pick it up and chuck it in the bin. They're a load of shite. I had one and had no end of problems with it. My aunt had the same router, and the same problems. Useless pile of shit. Wouldn't touch anything made by them again.
The bloke in PC World said that Netgear was the one to stay away from - he also said the Belkin router he recommended was the best one the shop sold.

Anyway, i've got everything wireless (laptop, PSP, Wii) except for the PC, which I'm trying to do. The PC is fussy on whereabouts the router is placed, and displays the lowest signal out of any WiFi devices in the house. When it's connected, Internet Explorer and Windows Live Messenger completely refuse to use my wireless connection, and nag to get my broadband moden connection, even though I'm trying not to use it.

Any advice?
Anonymous

Reeves wrote: The bloke in PC World said that Netgear was the one to stay away from - he also said the Belkin router he recommended was the best one the shop sold.

Any advice?
I've had that before - indeed PC World always try to ram Belkin down my throat it seems!

I've had Netgear for two years and not a single problem with it. Ever.
Stuart*
Banned

Ron Owen wrote:I've had Netgear for two years and not a single problem with it. Ever.
I also have a Netgear router and it seems fine now (after some initial problems). It didn't react very well with the Norton anti-virus software which came with my new PC - so my Housemate at the time wrote abit of code to disable the one on the router.

Never trust PC World's advise on anything.
User removed