Haitch

Aston

cdd wrote:Well for all intensive purposes
Do you mean "for all intents and purposes"?
Finn

Aston wrote:
cdd wrote:Well for all intensive purposes
Do you mean "for all intents and purposes"?
I love it when people read the whole thread...
Gavin Scott
Admin

cdd wrote:
Gavin Scott wrote:
cdd wrote: Well for all intensive purposes, Stuart, they're doing it off their own back; it's a bit of a damp squid to try and stem the tired of English errors when most people could care less!
I was also sure this was meant to be ironic.

"For all intents and purposes"

"Damp squib" (as in a pyrotechnic charge which won't fire because it has become wet)

"Stem the tide"

"Couldn't care less" - as opposed to the American "could care less" (which makes no sense)
4/5 (You missed "Off their own back", which should be "bat").
Damn it! I had it, but couldn't find a working example in my etymology reference to back it up.

Or should that be "bat it up"?

Next time I'll trust my instincts.
James Vertigan

ITV1 announcer has just said "Haitch" when talking about H.G. Wells :x
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Col

I am guilty of saying "Haitch", but that kind of thing is acceptable in Ireland.

As is saying "fill-um" instead of "film".
cdd

James Vertigan wrote:ITV1 announcer has just said "Haitch" when talking about H.G. Wells :x
Yes, i heard another TV announcer saying 'haich' the other day too. It's totally unacceptable that people who are paid to speak, but mispronounce words, aren't fired on the spot... I mean voiceover-ing isn't the most taxing of jobs anyway, and any mistakes are inexcusable.
Spencer For Hire

Someone else seems to agree with us.

Recently added to Holy Moly's 'Cunts Corner'...
People who prounonce the letter H, haich

You sound like fucking dunces. It''s pronounced aich. Though I doubt there is a right spelling for this sound, I certainly don''t doubt that (if there were infact a proper spelling) it does not, and never has, had the letter H at the front of it. Where the fuck are you getting this ''huh'' sound from? You wouldn''t say Buh-bee or Muh-em for the letters B & M would you? No. You would say bee and em. So stop doing it with the letter H, it sounds awful and makes you sound like the thick, ignorant cunt that you obviously are.
Sums it up nicely.