NHS or Private?

onetrickpony

My driving instructor said a few weeks back that Private was the best as if you have a problem, need surgery ect you can go and see a Doctor straight away, pay and get the operation done with a week or so....is this true?

I never really had an opinion on the NHS before, but i am going into hopsital next week (Wed 18th) for an operation, i've been waiting since around November last year. Although i was happy to wait for the operation i fear that something may go wrong.

I've heard stories in the past people go in for simple operations and end up coming out in a coffin :shock: So i just wondered what you all thought....NHS or Private?
Sput

There's always a chance you'll come out of hospital in a coffin, just like there's every chance that posting on metropol will be that final factor that pushes you over the edge and off this mortal coi
onetrickpony

Oh right, well its a small operation - but as you say there is always a chance. I wonder how many people with Bupa die under the knife?
marksi

Of course it's going to be worrying going into hospital, they are of course full of sick people. But the chances of something going wrong during a simple operation are so small as to be insignificant.

Yes, if you have private medical cover you will get to see a consultant and if necessary have any procedures carried out very quickly, much more quickly than on the NHS, though the consultant you see may well work for the NHS too, so there may well be no difference in the actual quality of treatment you receive, just the timing.

Hope it all goes ok, I'm sure it will.
Lorns

Oh i'd go bupa if i was you. Having an op in your local Nhs could result in MRSA etc. If the newspapers are to be believed. Bring back the old skool matrons is what i say!

Seriously now i hear more good stuff than bad about the NHS.
onetrickpony

Thank you Marksi. I might consider private in later life if i have children, but for right now im happy with the NHS, well the woman on the phone for the pre-op assessment was very helpful

Well my local NHS, Kettering General doesnt have a good track record - but risk = reward
Lorns

Sput wrote:There's always a chance you'll come out of hospital in a coffin, just like there's every chance that posting on metropol will be that final factor that pushes you over the edge and off this mortal coi
coi? Conflict of interests?
Jamez
Banned

miss hellfire wrote:Having an op in your local Nhs could result in MRSA etc. If the newspapers are to be believed.
Exactly.

Newspapers only care about generating unnecessary mass hysteria to sell more papers.
User Removed
onetrickpony

Well it was the ITV News that put the fear into me last year, and before. BONG! MRSA kills man who went to get a tooth out BONG! Hospital death beds ect

Is BUPA the only private care? There must be more than one.
Johnny

onetrickpony wrote:Well it was the ITV News that put the fear into me last year, and before. BONG! MRSA kills man who went to get a tooth out BONG! Hospital death beds ect

Is BUPA the only private care? There must be more than one.
ITV News of recent has been known to add mass hysteria to their news bullitens on certain things
Johnny

Harry Hill : "What is it about people that repair shoes that makes them so good at cutting keys? Try going in there with a shoe shaped like a key and see how confused they get."