Equal Opportunity Declarations

Katnap

I'm in the process of looking for a new job and consequently am spending time filling out application forms.

I'm sure that most people are familiar with your basic Equal Ops form - "We are committed to the development of positive policies to promote equal opportunities in employment and in the delivery of our services, regardless of race, disability, gender, belief or religion, age or sexual orientation..." blah blah blah.

Most forms I've come across simply want to know your gender and ethnicity, although a few now want to know your sexual orientation too.

I was most surprised to find on my current application's Equal Ops form the following - cut and pasted fresh from the page:
A Certain Form wrote:YOUR GENDER: Male ( ) Female ( )

Most people will be comfortable with one of the above but if you wish to indicate either of the below, please do so:

Male to female transgender ( ) Female to male transgender ( )
Seriously. I mean, I already think it's a bit much asking somebody's sexual and religious orientations on these things since such matters are usually the realm of one's personal life, but I'm admittedly a bit gobsmacked with the above.

Political correctness gone mad or a genuine attempt to make sure everybody is fairly treated/represented?
What the fuck is a samoflange?
James Martin

Nick Griffin wouldn't stand for this shit.
Jamez
Banned

Aren't those equal opportunity things optional to fill in?

However, what business is it of any employer and potential colleague to know my sexual orientation and religious beliefs?! The only job I can think of where those two questions would and should appear is the role of Catholic priest.
cdd

James Martin wrote:Nick Griffin wouldn't stand for this shit.
Interesting, Mr Martin - only one thread ago you were asserting that you DIDN'T hold the BNP in a positive light. Now you're posting pro-BNP comments and have adopted a pro-BNP signature.
James Martin

I agree with Griffin so far as that it's time to say ENOUGH to political correctness.

You're not of deferred success, you're failed.

You're not African-American, you're black.

You're not xxx impaired, you're disabled.

You're not with difficulties, you're just a mental.

Harsh examples but why oh why does this country insist on walking on egg-shells?
cdd

James Martin wrote:You're not African-American, you're black.
Sorry, James, but that just sticks out as an example of your overt racism. Would you like to be called not "English", but "white"?
They're two different things, you airhead: the former is your ethnic identity, the latter is your skin colour. Using skin colours to refer to ethnic identities is, by all accounts, racist.
You really are an unpleasant person, James.
James Martin

cdd wrote:
Sorry, James, but that just sticks out as an example of your overt racism. Would you like to be called not "English", but "white"?
They're two different things, you airhead: the former is your ethnic identity, the latter is your skin colour. Using skin colours to refer to ethnic identities is, by all accounts, racist.
Really?

I was recently told by somebody that to say "coloured" is, infact, considered worse than saying "black".
cdd

James Martin wrote:
cdd wrote:
Really?

I was recently told by somebody that to say "coloured" is, infact, considered worse than saying "black".
What are you on about? Your post just exposes your shallow ignorance.
James Martin

I've had the test results back and sadly the baby isn't yours.
Katnap

Anyway...
Jamez wrote:Aren't those equal opportunity things optional to fill in?
Sometimes they are, but I've not come across an optional one - yet.

Edit: Wish I could walk into a bloomin' job just like that...
What the fuck is a samoflange?
Sput

I AM OUTRAGED.

The savour of student radio has once again been overlooked and the BBC have given this...this...CHARLATAN the prestigious national DJ Job.

It's political correctness gone mad.
Knight knight