AOL and connection to the internet

Joe Public

Hi

I am looking for some help.

My next door neighbours connect to the internet via AOL and they are having problems connection to the internet.

I have never had AOL before so it is a little alien to me.

They click on the icon to connect and up pops the "sign on page:

User name and password are completed and sign on is clicked. Normally this is the end of it.

But at the moment another box comes up called "connection log" and in this window it says "attempt 0 [added by autofix]"

The AOL box then freezes and you have to go inro task manager to close it.

I have done a system restore but that did not resolve the problem.
When I looked at the connection settings it does appear to be connected.

Any ideas??

Thank you in advance.

G
In connection with my cr*p spelling I would like to anotate all my posts with (sp?)
B.E. El-Zebub

AOL IS THE WORK OF THE DEVIL.
Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn o lyswennod
Joe Public

Thank you for that but I was looking for something more constructive.

TBH I have never had AOL because of the problems that I have heard about.
In connection with my cr*p spelling I would like to anotate all my posts with (sp?)
Nick Harvey
God

Sorry, but there's no such thing as constructive where bloody AOL are concerned.

The only solution is to get another, proper, ISP.

Reeves

I had AOL, and I found the real meaning of the initials...

Always
Off
Line

I know you are looking for help, but for future reference, try something else. I'm using Tiscali - not as fast as it should be but it connects. I wouldn't recommend AOL to anyone. It's a twat.
Explorer

Nick Harvey wrote:Sorry, but there's no such thing as constructive where bloody AOL are concerned.

The only solution is to get another, proper, ISP.

Did you do that, Nick?
Nick Harvey
God

Explorer wrote:Did you do that, Nick?
No way.

The reason I'm such a wonderful person is because I don't do mocks.
Neil Jones

Joe Public wrote:I am looking for some help.

My next door neighbours connect to the internet via AOL and they are having problems connection to the internet.
Easy solution: Convince them, by hook or by crook, to go with somebody else. Anybody else. If its AOL dial-up PAYG, easily done. Dial-up unmetered, okay, still easily done. AOL Broadband - takes longer but they'll be without broadband for three weeks.

More difficult solution: AOL's software is temperamental. Apparently it only talks to certain modems, doesn't like certain system setups and any error codes it throws up are entirely undocumented on Google. Even calling AOL, they don't have a clue what the error codes mean.

Carphone Warehouse now handle the ISP side of AOL UK, which should be fun considering they can't even run TalkTalk properly.

Anyway, it transpires you don't need the crappy AOL software to get on. The dialler is all you need and you can then use Internet Explorer, Firefox or whatever to surf. Therefore the solution may be to remove all AOL software (especially if they don't use any of the other crap that gets bundled with it) and set the system up so its only got the AOL dialler on it.
dragonjh

Well as I've discovered (yes I'm with AOL :cry:), if you take the AOL software off, the dialer doesn't work.

However, you can connect just like you would with a normal ISP using the default windows stuff if ou know how - I ain't touched the AOL crap for over a year now :D.
Jamez
Banned

Everyone raves on about how fabulous Demon are. I've never used them because I was under the impression they were expensive, but looking at their site they seem to be about average.

Plus.net are good, too. Their call centre is in Sheffield which is nice. All Tiscali's operators are in New Delhi and they are the most useless bunch of ****'s ever. They seem to understand me better if I speak like Grandma Kumar. :roll:
Pete

I've not heard a good word about Tiscali.

Pipex meanwhile still have me strangled into a contract that I still maintain they conned me into, but nonethless it ends in a few months and I can go searching for someone new then.

Not sure whether I should dump mummy with the freebie Orange broadband I get on my phone or whether I should pay the extra £5 for the unlimited wireless one for my new flat :S

Any suggestions for el cheapo BB. Im indoors keeps raving about Virgin Media - whats their internet / phone like? And do I *need* cable or can they do it over BT?
"He has to be larger than bacon"