The Beano

Lorns

I bought this comic for the first time in years today. I know times change and all that but i nearly cried when i saw how Dennis the mennace and Gnasher had changed due to the computer age. The Numskulls are nothing how i remember them. Billy Whizz is almost unrecognisable. And as for Roger the Dodger * sobs*.Thankgoodness for the Bash street kids, nothing much has changed there Phew!
Mental anxiety, Mental breakdowns, Menstrual cramps, Menopause... Did you ever notice how all our problems begin with Men?
Gluben

Funny you should mention this Miss H. I was just looking at the history of The Beano and The Dandy the other day, the latter having changed beyond recognition.

I bought both of them up until 2000, and I still have a box full of them, as well as a few annuals. Great stuff, and yes it has gone downhill now. I think the old style comics just aren't entertaining children anymore, so they have to update, which is a real shame.
Charlie Wells

If I'm right in thinking the Dandy only exists now as a monthly comic. Also there is now a 'Beano Max' out which I believe is a monthly edition. I've got some editiions from the late 90s to early 00s in the attic still and quite a few past annuals. I stopped collecting the new annuals (and comics) when it went computerised as I didn't like the changes, I much prefer the older annuals. When I brought my first comic it was only 45p, when I stopped I think it was 65p, if I recall the comic is now 80 something pence.
"If ass holes could fly then this place would be an airport."
Nate J

Every Christmas my sister comes up, she knows that it's her present!
Lorns

I'm showing my age here, but, i think the last Beano comic i bought was sometime in the mid- late 80's and that was for my cousin and the last Beano annual i have is dated 1979.
Mental anxiety, Mental breakdowns, Menstrual cramps, Menopause... Did you ever notice how all our problems begin with Men?
MattM

I remember when the Beano was 21p. The oldest issue I have is from 1984, a year after I was born. Picked it up from a car boot.
Jovis

Beano Max is apparantly a version of the Beano for older children.
Brad

I gave up reading The Beano in 1988 when it became more like a glossy magazine full of adverts disguised as cartoons. Munch Bunch indeed. :P
It was printed on ordinary newspaper before that (complete with ragged edges to the paper!) 21p indeed. Tssss. Youngsters. Was 16p in my day when I were a lad. ;)
"That one!"
Pete

I was nearly killed by massive flying windows outside DC Thompson the other week. True story
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Gluben

Massive flying windows? Do explain how that happened.
Gavin Scott
Admin

I was at an audition yesterday with a man from DC Thompson.

Worra lorra shit he talked.