Apple iPhone

Gavin Scott
Admin

Can't think of another company (perhaps Microsoft) who are lucky enough to get so much publicity for a product that hasn't even launched.

But I think I would like one of these devices. I like the fact that it is touch sensitive, yet ingores accidental keypresses. "It's super-smart" they say.

So should I be a slave to fashion and get my name on a waiting list?
Jovis

Some people on Radio 1 Newsbeat are saying how there are already phones that do the same functions, but of course with Apple, you get a product that is well designed, and well made. Its fashionable, and people want one, so there's that to look at too. But cost is the thing. Its expensive for a phone really, but if you have that money, and want the product, then go for it. I'd wait a while though, to see what the general concensus on it is.
Pete

Jovis wrote:and well made.
HA.

I have four broken iPods that beg to differ.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
cat

Don't bother, Mr Scott.

It will be hugely expensive and it has been designed with the American market in mind - i.e. a lot of attention paid to the 'business' side of things, and with QWERTY keyboard, wide design, etc.

The fact that it has only a 2mp camera is indicative of the fact that it hasn't really been designed with fun in mind.

Yes, it has an MP3 player, but then so did my phone three years ago. My phone has a 3.2mp camera, can check email, can use the internet, can check my emails, can remind me of things when I forget them.

I've no doubt that it's a lovely looking and feeling product, but i'm not convinced it's going to be a revolution in the phone world because it'll probably be so expensive.

Certainly not convinced by the accidental touch thing... no technology is foolproof.
Gavin Scott
Admin

I was quite taken by the scrolling menu/phonebook list that I saw on the news last night. I suppose there will be a myriad of products with touch screens before too long.

This is probably just a case of me being taken in my the aesthetics of the device, but I am in the market for a new phone, and I really want to be able to browse full webpages.

I appreciate the advice. I'll need to have a think.
Jovis

What sort of costs will there be (after purchasing the device of course) to use the internet, phone people, and so on?
Dr Lobster*

it does look lovely, i have to admit.

but, i sold my ipod because i don't use it. i don't really have time to sit there listening to music, i listen to radio 4 in the car when i drive to/from work, i've got a lovely set of very loud speakers i can listen to music with at home, so i don't need an ipod then, so i ended getting rid of it. (just as well, it fucked up not long after i sold it, the woman i sold it too emailed me asking for help)

my phone can also, at present function as an mp3 player... i don't use it. don't need to.

just when *do* people have time sit around with earphones in? i certainly don't, hardly ever.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Dr Lobster* wrote:it does look lovely, i have to admit.

but, i sold my ipod because i don't use it. i don't really have time to sit there listening to music, i listen to radio 4 in the car when i drive to/from work, i've got a lovely set of very loud speakers i can listen to music with at home, so i don't need an ipod then, so i ended getting rid of it. (just as well, it fucked up not long after i sold it, the woman i sold it too emailed me asking for help)

my phone can also, at present function as an mp3 player... i don't use it. don't need to.

just when *do* people have time sit around with earphones in? i certainly don't, hardly ever.
I play mp3s on my nokia when I'm walking up to the pub. I love to walk with music. It gets my in the mood to have a great time.

But other than that I'm ferried about in cars to and from work so am in the same position as you.

It can be good to browse a webpage when I'm in the pub waiting for friends to arrive.

On that topic - does the wap service for TVF work for anyone else? It doesn't for me.
Chris

Gavin Scott wrote:I play mp3s on my nokia when I'm walking up to the pub. I love to walk with music. It gets my in the mood to have a great time.
I do sincerely hope that you use headphones, Gavin. ;)

I have a friend who recently got a music playing phone, but he seems at every opportunity to play his "music" using the speaker in the phone. The quality is extremely crap (as one would expect) but he still insists on walking down the street with the phone by the side of his ear even though we've told him he'll get mugged as he's a walking target and also the sound quality is crap.
Jovis

I hate mobile phone music. The idiot's that play their music like that put on rubbish stuff that's been in the commercial radio station's playlist for 4 years. So it's not just rubbish sound, its rubbish music.
Sput

Chris wrote:he still insists on walking down the street with the phone by the side of his ear even though we've told him he'll get mugged as he's a walking target and also the sound quality is crap.
You might want to tell him he looks like a twat. That might do it.
Knight knight