TV Forum Watch News and Information Board

all new Phil

Best of luck to you Rob. I must confess I’m not a regular visitor to your site, but I can’t doubt your passion and so I hope people get behind you. Would be good if this site can maintain a semi-direct link going forward like it has done with TVF?
rob

all new Phil wrote: Wed 03 Mar, 2021 20.55 Best of luck to you Rob. I must confess I’m not a regular visitor to your site, but I can’t doubt your passion and so I hope people get behind you. Would be good if this site can maintain a semi-direct link going forward like it has done with TVF?
Pete did approach me earlier, I've said just for the moment that I'd like to run the new forum as a seperate entity. As there won't be a general chat forum on the new site, I'm more than happy to put a link to Metropol on it.

I'm relishing the new "TV Live Forum Watch News and Information Board" launching as well.
Weekdays from 7am-10am on Andover Radio
Overton Radio: Weekdays 2pm-4pm, Weekends 8am-11am
DTV

rob wrote: Wed 03 Mar, 2021 19.48 but I'm contemplating whether to ditch the mocks and requests sections, as they're the most troublesome.
I don't think that many people would shed a tear for the requests forum - while there a few good nuggets on there, it is more often than not a hotbed of 'I want it now!' levels of entitlement - and often from forumers who contribute little elsewhere.

When it comes to 'The Gallery' I'm a bit more ambivalent. While, as a regular contributor, you may expect me to unilaterally support it, I can really see the good and the bad. For every gem, there are about 5 poor quality mocks - some of which you find hard to imagine that even the mocker actually thinks is any good. And, of course, you have the halfterm deluge of GMB designs. But I do remember my early mocks - which were awful - and how much I've grown and improved because of The Gallery. I think that, if it is to continue, it needs a rethink - maybe with a probationary period for 1*/2* mocks or new members not being able to submit designs for a few months.
scottishtv

Dealing with shit like this would break me too:
Thaedur wrote:I had intended on confessing once Prince Philip had passed away.
Perhaps everyone being stuck at home partly contributed to serving up a lot more 'silly season' chat over the last 12 months. Understandably there's also been little in the way of new pres coming our way over the last year too - Christmas being the exception.

What a shame.
thegeek

I'm not sure when I last ventured into the Gallery. Probably more than a decade ago. I think my view if it was maybe akin to Walkabout pubs - a place for people who like that sort is thing to gather so they didn't bother me elsewhere.

I guess that's maybe one of the things about TV Forum - as a user it was quite easy to ignore the threads that were of no interest or were always destined to be a shouting match, but if it's your site you've always got to deal with it, and if it's just a hobby is a big ask.

I really hope that the high quality contributors who post interesting insights from the industry today, or excellently researched posts about the past, will follow on to rob's forum. Where would we be without Media Boy's dispatches from W1A it I Steve Williams citing Morning Glory or an old Radio Times editorial?
Pete

rob wrote: Wed 03 Mar, 2021 21.01
Pete did approach me earlier, I've said just for the moment that I'd like to run the new forum as a seperate entity. As there won't be a general chat forum on the new site, I'm more than happy to put a link to Metropol on it.

I'm relishing the new "TV Live Forum Watch News and Information Board" launching as well.
Hello just to avoid any speculation... as far as I'm concerned there are only two plausible successors and they are Metro and TV Live. We've got the advantage of the existing user directory, TV Live has the advantage of being an existing pres brand, and rob has announced his intentions first so as far as I'm concerned let's go with that.

I'd be far more worried about going down the route of 100x tomd netowork forums and perhaps maintaining the dangerous cousins relationship rather than us taking on the rest of the site is the way to go. I suspect TVF needed us over the years as much as we needed it.

Anyhow it's not even been three hours. Let's see where we are in a fortnight?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Critique

I completely missed the signs that everyone else seems to have picked up on so I really am quite surprised by this! Whilst the past six months have definitely seen an uptick in people being a bit more argumentative and unpleasant, on the flipside the purge of the rota threads etc has meant that the discussion more generally has been of a much higher quality and on the whole I've enjoyed it more as a result.

At the moment I feel a bit conflicted about trying to move over to any successor sites. Invariably not everyone will make the journey, and no doubt the couple of alternative options that pop up will fragment the user base that does try to move across. Whilst there's something to be said about admins on new sites putting their own mark on things (such as the stuff that's already been mooted in this thread about the TV Live Forum getting rid of the Gallery, which I personally think would be a shame as there are often diamonds amongst the rubbish!), right now I think whatever any successor does is going to feel a bit like a strange knock-off and just endlessly be compared back to TVF - familiar but not quite right.

Maybe that will pass (I strangely really do feel a bit of a sense of loss right now!), I guess time will tell.
WillPS

iSon wrote: Wed 03 Mar, 2021 19.51 Final victory goes to Nick Harvey.

Carbuncle’s Televisual Corner has a certain ring to it.

Nah seriously, it’s weird to think the site won’t exist in its current form. I say we bring back the IRC chat room for the last day.
A chat room is available as and when needed.
Nick Harvey
God

Andrew

Critique wrote: Wed 03 Mar, 2021 21.46 I completely missed the signs that everyone else seems to have picked up on so I really am quite surprised by this! Whilst the past six months have definitely seen an uptick in people being a bit more argumentative and unpleasant, on the flipside the purge of the rota threads etc has meant that the discussion more generally has been of a much higher quality and on the whole I've enjoyed it more as a result.

At the moment I feel a bit conflicted about trying to move over to any successor sites. Invariably not everyone will make the journey, and no doubt the couple of alternative options that pop up will fragment the user base that does try to move across. Whilst there's something to be said about admins on new sites putting their own mark on things (such as the stuff that's already been mooted in this thread about the TV Live Forum getting rid of the Gallery, which I personally think would be a shame as there are often diamonds amongst the rubbish!), right now I think whatever any successor does is going to feel a bit like a strange knock-off and just endlessly be compared back to TVF - familiar but not quite right.

Maybe that will pass (I strangely really do feel a bit of a sense of loss right now!), I guess time will tell.
Of course we don’t know what sort of DM’s Asa has been receiving from people demanding that they talk about The Tories every day. It sounds like it’s more than just closing a few threads every now and then.

I’d agree about holding off on finding a new site at this point, it does come across a bit like jumping in someone’s grave, a bit like when a much loved colleague leaves, and people are claiming their office equipment when they haven’t even said their goodbyes yet.

I’ve always been in two minds about rota chat, yes there shouldn’t be a thread guessing why Joanna Gosling did a different shift one day, was it because she had a dentist appointment maybe?, but if she hosted the Ten for 3 weeks across the summer, I think it would be worthy of a mention, but nobody dare mention it now. What’s funny is you do get threads wondering when say Huw Edwards first started presenting and in what role, without the historical record nobody would know.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Ironic that today is when BBC Scotland accidentally cut to obituary footage of the Duke during the Scottish Parliament hearing.