TV Forum Watch News and Information Board

gottago

I'd like to be able to talk about GB News but Christ, I know if I was Asa I couldn't be arsed spending my personal time having to trawl through a particularly charged thread and deciding what needs to go. The rest of the forum generally only requires gentle moderation (well, I assume that's the case) so I can completely understand his reluctance to allow the thread to go ahead at the moment. It's hardly restricting freedom of speech when it's a private website and there's ample, endless places elsewhere online where they can discuss the subject to their heart's content.
all new Phil

gottago wrote: Sun 21 Feb, 2021 17.41 I'd like to be able to talk about GB News but Christ, I know if I was Asa I couldn't be arsed spending my personal time having to trawl through a particularly charged thread and deciding what needs to go. The rest of the forum generally only requires gentle moderation (well, I assume that's the case) so I can completely understand his reluctance to allow the thread to go ahead at the moment. It's hardly restricting freedom of speech when it's a private website and there's ample, endless places elsewhere online where they can discuss the subject to their heart's content.
Totally agree. I’d love to discuss it but people seem hell-bent on taking it off course because they can’t bear the thought of something that is at odds with what they believe. I couldn’t care less if it’s Canary TV, Faragevision, Ash Sarkar 24 or Guido Fawkes News but it seems some only think that what is aligned with their own personal politics should be allowed. If you silence voices, you push them underground, and that’s when they become dangerous.
bilky asko

gottago wrote: Sun 21 Feb, 2021 17.41 I'd like to be able to talk about GB News but Christ, I know if I was Asa I couldn't be arsed spending my personal time having to trawl through a particularly charged thread and deciding what needs to go. The rest of the forum generally only requires gentle moderation (well, I assume that's the case) so I can completely understand his reluctance to allow the thread to go ahead at the moment. It's hardly restricting freedom of speech when it's a private website and there's ample, endless places elsewhere online where they can discuss the subject to their heart's content.
Brekkie moaning about it in the Television Forum website thread is a perfect demonstration as to why Asa is unlikely to reopen the thread:
Brekkie on Television Forum wrote:Thankfully the majority of the membership here see through it all, even if the moderators don't want us too.
Does he think there's some sort grand conspiracy going on? What a fool.
Jonwo

If anyone is unhappy about Asa's decision then surely they could just leave TVForum and go somewhere else to discuss GB News. I sure they won't be missed.
onetrickpony

TVF could look at expanding, as in recent years there is more discussion of general TV chat, rather than presentation.

The Masked Singer thread was predominantly talking about who could be under the masks rather than presentation.
tightrope78

Is Thaedur, who started the Prince Philip death watch thread, a former user? I can’t imagine someone new registering to the site and starting that thread. Has all the hallmarks of someone previously banned.

If the GB News threads were banned for speculation then surely this one should be too?
Jonwo

tightrope78 wrote: Mon 22 Feb, 2021 14.30 Is Thaedur, who started the Prince Philip death watch thread, a former user? I can’t imagine someone new registering to the site and starting that thread. Has all the hallmarks of someone previously banned.

If the GB News threads were banned for speculation then surely this one should be too?
I assume because it's royals and not politics, it's probably considered okay.
Martin Phillp

Considering Brekkie appears to be someone of a more liberal persuasion, his moaning about not being able to discuss GB News editorial is straight out of the playbook of some members of the right.
TVF's London Lite.
Jonwo

Martin Phillp wrote: Mon 22 Feb, 2021 19.30 Considering Brekkie appears to be someone of a more liberal persuasion, his moaning about not being able to discuss GB News editorial is straight out of the playbook of some members of the right.
Brekkie seems to like complaining for the sake of complaining.
Martin Phillp

Brekkie and co have decided to skewer me for breakfast over my supposed bias comments about Nigel Farage on the talkRADIO thread after they couldn't do similar on the GB News thread when I mentioned the lack of impartiality during the interview of which one presenter is part of the same political party as him.

There's a big difference between a channel that hasn't even launched yet and one that has been around since 2016 which for the last couple of years which has become editorially more in line with Fox News or Newsmax.

I suspect some of them unlike Brekkie who just wants to moan about everything are those who agree with the editorial of the station rather than complaining that I allegedly "spam" threads with politics. Not that Brekkie has EVER done that!
TVF's London Lite.
Alan de Robson

Martin, I am sorry to burst your bubble and this is not meant personally but no-one gives a shit about your political views.

No-one wants you or Brekkie or anyone else to hijack presentation threads with political spam. It's not what the forum is about and that's why the moderators and other members, myself included, are coming down hard on it.

I want to hear your thoughts and input about TV presentation on TV Forum but nothing else.

Metropol247 is a perfectly good place to have those discussions and it surprises me that not more people use it. I and many others would no doubt gladly debate you on here. In fact, why not start up a thread now called "Perceived bias in British media" and you can post away to your heart's content about it as can Brekkie and others.

In case you don't know, there was originally a sub-forum on TVF called "The Lounge" which was a general discussion forum. Metropol247 was its replacement. I can't remember what it was that got "The Lounge" taken down but it was a very popular and lively forum. To make MP247 the same (and I wish it was because the Lounge could be brilliant at times), I would love you (and me) and others to post more here.