TV Forum Watch News and Information Board

james2001

I'm sure they could have just reviewed the previous day's papers to keep him happy.
bilky asko

Radio is radio doesn't quite have the same ring to it as Brexit means Brexit.
cityprod

bilky asko wrote:Radio is radio doesn't quite have the same ring to it as Brexit means Brexit.
Oh very true, but it also doesn't have the associations with hate, xenophobia and misogyny either.
dosxuk

Unless you're listening to a Trump interview... Or a Radio Two phone in.
james2001

Or Nigel Farage and Nick Ferrari on LBC.
noelfirl

I'd like to take this opportunity to say how much I love the new BBC One idents. In the sense that I'm hopeful that they have caused at least one person over on TVF to have an aneurysm.

Perhaps a bit maudlin, but in reading through the sixty odd pages of pure unyielding OUTRAGE, I'm struck by the thought that it is, in many ways, somewhat of a death rattle from a community that is long since past it's golden age in purpose and product.*

*In the sense that the broadcast medium has drastically changed since 16 years ago, much pres is shit now and the odds of the second coming of a globe/balloon or something equally as iconic is between slim, none and hell freezing over.
Philip

Oh most of the comments have been amazingly over the top, especially from certain members (including a certain member who seems to keep posting just to hammer the point that they think they're shit), but that is to be expected. I am surprised at the overall negative response from established members who usually post reasonable reactions to these kind of things.
bilky asko

For me, it's because they'd gone from the idea well executed at Christmas, to a similar idea with fewer iterations and executed much worse for the permanent set.

When ITV and Channel 4 are at their peak (in my opinion), seeing BBC One turn out what they did was mightily disappointing.

On a side note, the only comment I've heard about TV pres in real life (from "normal" people) over the past few months was over how great BBC Two was for being uncompromisingly retro, kitsch, and cheap in their idents. BBC Two is good-shit; I think BBC One is bad-shit.
MetalGearRex

Philip wrote:Oh most of the comments have been amazingly over the top, especially from certain members (including a certain member who seems to keep posting just to hammer the point that they think they're shit), but that is to be expected. I am surprised at the overall negative response from established members who usually post reasonable reactions to these kind of things.
I'd give BBC ONE credit - the programme standards it sets are great - especially with regards to its dramas.

Besides - are you referring to my posts on the thread? If it is - sorry for going over the top.
Whataday

noelfirl wrote:Perhaps a bit maudlin, but in reading through the sixty odd pages of pure unyielding OUTRAGE, I'm struck by the thought that it is, in many ways, somewhat of a death rattle from a community that is long since past it's golden age in purpose and product.*
Not quite - I think that's a case of you viewing things with some rose tinted spectacles of your own.

In the 1980s, pres fans were outraged at the loss of ATV and Southern, the introduction of 24 hour television which meant no more closedown sequences and the decline of traditionally animated station idents which were replaced by CGI. In the 1990s they were outraged at the loss of Thames and TVS and the decline of in vision continuity, replaced by more CGI idents. In the 2000s they were outraged at the loss of the BBC globe and the decline of CGI idents replaced by people idents. And today, as we hurtle towards the end of the 2010s we still moan and whinge our way through everything that changes in the world of pres.

Having said that, there are plenty of threads still praising other channels' presentation, so perhaps the BBC One thread shouldn't be taken in isolation.
rob

freddied056 is REALLY irritating me.
Weekdays from 7am-10am on Andover Radio
Overton Radio: Weekdays 2pm-4pm, Weekends 8am-11am