TV Forum Watch News and Information Board

robschneider

Shame you couldn't forget your password for here too.
B.E. El-Zebub

Philip wrote:The old thread was titled 2015 Refresh - surely it makes sense to create a new thread for the 2016 Refresh, as minor as it may be, after a thread has amassed over 250 pages of discussion. Really it should have been split sooner, as with the other mega threads that needlessly go on forever.
I never get the obsession with splitting threads just because they've been going on for a long time. There's no practical difference between navigating a thread with 15 pages and 150.
Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn o lyswennod
bilky asko

B.E. El-Zebub wrote:
Philip wrote:The old thread was titled 2015 Refresh - surely it makes sense to create a new thread for the 2016 Refresh, as minor as it may be, after a thread has amassed over 250 pages of discussion. Really it should have been split sooner, as with the other mega threads that needlessly go on forever.
I never get the obsession with splitting threads just because they've been going on for a long time. There's no practical difference between navigating a thread with 15 pages and 150.
Indeed, closing the Sport Thread was just completely silly.
Philip

Just a personal preference. I'm more a fan of having separate threads that die off naturally than having one huge thread. It makes it hard to go back and look at past discussions, because instead of them being under their own topics they are stuffed into a ten-year-long(!) mega thread with no organisation, compared to making separate threads and using the 'related topics' function to link them together. I have to try and use Google to find posts and figure out when the discussion was had by date and manually looking back into the pages. And as I don't naturally read the sport thread all the time, I miss important news that my attention would have been drawn to if it was in a separate thread. Frankly TV Forum is the odd one out amongst the forums I visit in having mega-threads in this style.
bilky asko

Philip wrote:Just a personal preference. I'm more a fan of having separate threads that die off naturally than having one huge thread. It makes it hard to go back and look at past discussions, because instead of them being under their own topics they are stuffed into a ten-year-long(!) mega thread with no organisation, compared to making separate threads and using the 'related topics' function to link them together. I have to try and use Google to find posts and figure out when the discussion was had by date and manually looking back into the pages. And as I don't naturally read the sport thread all the time, I miss important news that my attention would have been drawn to if it was in a separate thread. Frankly TV Forum is the odd one out amongst the forums I visit in having mega-threads in this style.
It exists because of the relatively strict thread moderation. Megathreads would thin out naturally if new threads weren't seen to be troublesome, probably a result of there being no integral off topic forum to move these topics to. If a topic is niche, just let it die naturally rather than tell people off for it being niche.

Megathreads have always been a feature of forums I've visited to some extent. Closing a thread arbitrarily at 999 pages doesn't solve the problem of searchability - an actually decent search function would help with that (I always resort to site searching on Google instead).

Ultimately, the only issue with megathreads that I ever noticed was that it makes the forum seem less busy than it is.
Jason

Jon thinks it's necessary to call me a bore in the ITV late show thread.

How many new ITV shows has Stephen Mulhern turned up in lately?

I have a name for Jon which ends in hole...
Jason aka JasonB @TVF
Martin Phillp

I'm surprised I didn't get called a bore for suggesting Keith Lemon!
TVF's London Lite.
Jason

Martin Phillp wrote:I'm surprised I didn't get called a bore for suggesting Keith Lemon!
I don't get Jon most of the time. His posts always seem negative to me.

We suggest those names all the time because that's the route ITV always go down. Even if we joke about them, which most of the time we do.
Jason aka JasonB @TVF
Alexia

I think anyone who posts on TVF must be a bit of a bore, really. We all are.
Steve in Pudsey

Having also been named in that post, I'm not dignifying it with a response on TVF, although I'm not sure why I've been mentioned when I haven't actually posted in that thread.

Still, I guess TV Forum bore is better than TV Forum banned, which I think that little outburst probably merits.
Jason

Steve in Pudsey wrote:Having also been named in that post, I'm not dignifying it with a response on TVF, although I'm not sure why I've been mentioned when I haven't actually posted in that thread.

Still, I guess TV Forum bore is better than TV Forum banned, which I think that little outburst probably merits.
I reported Jon's outburst so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

I notice Jon hasn't reacted to my reply. That's probably a good thing.
Jason aka JasonB @TVF