TV Forum Watch News and Information Board

Martin Phillp

The Top Gear basher is Dalek isn't it?
TVF's London Lite.
Pete Prodge

robschneider wrote:If I was allowed to get rid of people because I disagreed with their opinion there'd be precious few people left!
Whoever felt the need to do that, you are a Nazi.
Yes, that's surely comparable to a regime that ritually slaughtered people of a the Jewish faith; disabled people; intellectuals; blacks; homosexuals and gypsies.
robschneider wrote:The truth is, old TG was a show for the "silent majority."
Why is it that anybody who describes themselves as being part of the 'silent majority' happens to be neither of those terms?
robschneider wrote:I drink beer, smoke fags, eat bacon and drive a van.
Good. Don't get it mixed up. I've seen too many smoking vans out there.
robschneider wrote:I vote UKIP and am voting Leave.
Yes, if there's anything that shows how much you want to stick up for this nation, it's delighting an unelected party leader who decided to employ his (second) German-born wife on the UK taxpayer's dime instead of one of the hundreds of Brits who applied for the job. You can't even wave a St George's Flag any more or discuss immigration, except that you can.
robschneider wrote:The BBC have had a chance to bring the show into line with the BBC's political agenda and they've not held back.
While I am with you on Evans Top Gear being crap, where exactly was this political agenda? What political agenda is this? I've not seen one since the denim-clad bloke left.
robschneider wrote:Then how the fuck am I using the Internet? What a lame put down.
The internet, developed in the late 1960s, Rob.
Steve in Pudsey

Have I missed a subtle piss take or is this a serious question?
Riaz wrote:CITV presentation from 1986 to 1988 features images of electronic circuit boards. Does anybody know what type of machinery they are out of?
james2001

At least nobody's dignified it with a response!
bilky asko

Cityprod is now trying to shame 1 million people because they dared to watch a programme containing some scenes of mild moral turpitude. I think he's just jealous of the viewing figures versus the listening figures for his Bond marathon.
cityprod

Projecting much, Bilky?

I said on the post it isn't about morals. If people want to get drunk and make themselves look stupid, they can do that. if people want to see that, they can do that too, just go to the clubs every Friday and Saturday night, you'll see plenty of it. But, we don't need to see it on our TV screens, as that gives it credence and acceptability, and it's not acceptable behaviour.

These people shame themselves, and I'd rather watch people doing much more positive things, things that are far more beneficial to the world as a whole.
Martin Phillp

cityprod wrote:
These people shame themselves, and I'd rather watch people doing much more positive things, things that are far more beneficial to the world as a whole.
Not every single programme is targeted at you Ian which you continually fail to grasp. It's the Heart syndrome, you don't like it, so it must be crap, yet millions listen every day.
TVF's London Lite.
robschneider

See I'm being proven right on Evans. Even I didn't expect this quick a return to form though.
cityprod

Martin Phillp wrote:
cityprod wrote:
Not every single programme is targeted at you Ian which you continually fail to grasp. It's the Heart syndrome, you don't like it, so it must be crap, yet millions listen every day.
No, I have long since grasped those points, but you haven't grasped my overall point, which is that broadcasting should not be for lowest common denominator stuff, should not be appealing to our basest instincts.

You also don't realise that just because millions watch or listen to something, doesn't automatically make it better than something that is only watched or listened to by a few hundred or a few thousand. There is no correlation between quantity of listeners and viewers and quality of output.
Martin Phillp

cityprod wrote:
Martin Phillp wrote:
cityprod wrote:
No, I have long since grasped those points, but you haven't grasped my overall point, which is that broadcasting should not be for lowest common denominator stuff, should not be appealing to our basest instincts.

You also don't realise that just because millions watch or listen to something, doesn't automatically make it better than something that is only watched or listened to by a few hundred or a few thousand. There is no correlation between quantity of listeners and viewers and quality of output.
No, it just shows that the industry has diversified. I don't like Geordie Shore (and yes I've watched a few episodes), yet I won't sneer at those who decide to watch it. Big Brother is another format which has become more niche under Channel 5 to survive.
TVF's London Lite.
cityprod

Martin Phillp wrote:
cityprod wrote:
Martin Phillp wrote:

No, it just shows that the industry has diversified. I don't like Geordie Shore (and yes I've watched a few episodes), yet I won't sneer at those who decide to watch it. Big Brother is another format which has become more niche under Channel 5 to survive.
I'm not sure I'd call it going niche, as such. I'm more inclined to say they've gone the easy route, by again, going down to lowest common denominator stuff. To me, that shows a distinct lack of imagination and originality. I'd have given them more credit for doing something a little more risky, rather than taking the easy option.

But again, the same point applies to MTV, and to many other channels out there, they are so desperate to find new material to broadcast for those 24 hours, that they just will commission almost anything, as long as it can get them numbers. If anything it shows up how tough a job it is these days to get eyeballs for new programmes, even for channels like MTV, but in my view, going down the lowest common denominator route every time just shows a lack of imagination.