Old School Computers

Andrew

As we all know technology is moving quite fast and I realised this further today when talking to one of my collegues, who is a few years younger than me, and they were discussing how their IT course at school involved using PCs and designing websites

This made me feel about 50 as all I remember from the majority of school IT lessons were using the likes of an Acorn Achimedes to do silly little tasks that formed nothing more than a school project.

If you also did the majority of your secondary school education in the 1990s can you remember all these pre-PC computers?

The Mice had 3 buttons as I remember as well, how did that work?
Sput

Memories! In fact, according to The Register today, Acorn is about to reform to bring out a series of PC laptops.
Middle button did menu, right wasn't used that much I don't believe
Knight knight
Lorns

Old school computers. Now that takes me back. I remember there being about 5 computers in something that would now resemble nothing more than a broom cupboard. It was an optional subject which i didn't study because i thought what will I want a computer for as i'm gonna dance or do hair. How wrong was i eh? Mind you the internet was not around then and we had an old dial phone not a push button one, red telephone boxes and gigantic batteries for mobile phones. Mr Nick will remember the ones i'm on about.
Mental anxiety, Mental breakdowns, Menstrual cramps, Menopause... Did you ever notice how all our problems begin with Men?
Gavin Scott
Admin

We used BBC Master computers in school. When ZX Spectrum computers were all the rage with my contemporaries, my dad thought it best to invest in an Acorn Electron (which I still have).

He bought me the add on which allowed it to take cartridge games and a joystick, but I never bought myself any games.

I saw an Acorn running just 10 years ago in a florist shop. It was being used as an ePOS (shop till).
Nick Harvey
God

We had this model in my day.

Sput

Ironically more powerful than the average Acorn Archimedes.
Knight knight
Jamez
Banned

Were BBC computers actually made by the BBC?
Lorns

I remember my brother having that bat and ball computer game ( a bit like tennis - ish , think it was the first computer game) I'm still not sure how he got that on the tv. I was so young i thought it was a tv channel but i could never find it. The next game i remember is Space invaders at the Arcades then Pac - man and the one where the little lad on a push bikes delivers newspapers. What was that game called?
Mental anxiety, Mental breakdowns, Menstrual cramps, Menopause... Did you ever notice how all our problems begin with Men?
TG

Paperboy!
Pete

Jamez wrote:Were BBC computers actually made by the BBC?
they were contracted to acorn
"He has to be larger than bacon"
DJGM

IMO the Acorn Archimedes was a classic computer. Wish I could have another go with "Pro-Artisan" for old times sake!