When was the last time MTV focused on music videos?

Lorns

Anyone?

All there ever seems to be on the listings is Pimp my ride..punk'd... cribs and now showing Hogan knows best :roll: What the f**k does Hogan have to do with music he's a bloody wrestler or something isn't he.
Mental anxiety, Mental breakdowns, Menstrual cramps, Menopause... Did you ever notice how all our problems begin with Men?
Jamez
Banned

MTV is poo.

It used to be pioneering back in the 80s and 90s, but now it's just another boring channel filled with repeats.

I prefer the likes of VH1 and the other rock genre channels.
cwathen

I remember thinking a long while back - probably when MTV first launched on ONdigital - that there should be a separate MTV channel that houses the programmes such as Pimp My Ride, Jackass, South Park etc: programmes that have nothing to do with music per se.

As it is it isn't a music channel except overnight and the odd stretch of videos during the day.
It's an odd policy which broadcasters have here - creating spinoff channels which end up taking over virtually the entire remit of the original channel, whilst the original goes in a completely different direction (usually involving drastic reduction in programme variety and heavy repeat schedules which weren't there before) and ends up being viewed as watered down.

Aswell as MTV, the same thing has happened to Cartoon Network, UK Gold, UK Style, Discovery, etc, etc.
noelfirl

The idea is now that you go to one of the genre channels for whatever style of music you want, the alternative being to stay tuned to the main MTV if you want to kill practically every cell in your brain.
Neil Jones

cwathen wrote:Aswell as MTV, the same thing has happened to Cartoon Network, UK Gold, UK Style, Discovery, etc, etc.
UK Gold didn't spin anything off, it just decided one day that it didn't want to be Gold anymore and that was it. Then G2 came along and there we go.

Cartoon Network was never any good once Boomerang came along and was ironically the last channel of the whole bunch to get a timeshift channel up and running. It doesn't really need it, considering the whole schedule runs on a six hour loop.

Disney Channel, now they've launched CineMagic, looks like its going to go the same way as well. Heck, the future isn't bright when they haven't told their sister channel ABC1 to stop putting "Disney Channel + 1" on the Disney Channel trailers they keep running.

MTV lost the plot years ago in my eyes; it was never any good once MTV UK was up and running. Okay, the Europe feed was packed with adverts that were all in German, but at least it was quite heavily music-based at the time.
James Martin

When did the UK version launch?
all new Phil

I think you're confusing that with the Europe version, the UK one didn't start till about 1997 did it? 1st July IIRC.
cwathen

UK Gold didn't spin anything off, it just decided one day that it didn't want to be Gold anymore and that was it. Then G2 came along and there we go.
It did, actually. Quickly after the launch of digital came UK Gold Classic, which saw the transfer of most old programmes from prime time and the replacement on UK Gold with some decidedly non-Gold programmes. However, since the daytime schedule continued to be comprised largely of old programmes, Gold Classic was quickly replaced with UK Gold 2, which simply aired the daytime schedule in prime time (it was actually just UK Gold + 9 with different commercials and presentation).

It was only when Gold 2 got replaced with G2 and the rot started to set into the daytime schedule aswell that the original remit truly had nowhere else to go.

However, that has recently started to change with UK Drama becoming decidedly less high-brow so that it can accomodate programme which 10 years ago would have been on UK Gold.
Lorns

Neil Jones wrote:
cwathen wrote:Aswell as MTV, the same thing has happened to Cartoon Network, UK Gold, UK Style, Discovery, etc, etc.

Cartoon Network was never any good once Boomerang came along
Here! Here! Viewing doesn't get any better than Boomerang! Nickleodeon lost it when they stopped showing so much Sabrina the teenage witch. I love that programme, haven't seen it for ages now. I only watched it for Salem really, he should have a spin off show.
Mental anxiety, Mental breakdowns, Menstrual cramps, Menopause... Did you ever notice how all our problems begin with Men?
James Martin

Nickelodeon's decline came with Sister Sister... dreadful programme which they showed nearly as much as E4 does Friends (another hideously overrated programme IMO).

What happend to the twins who used to do invision continuity? And does IVC still happen on Nick?
DJGM

Twins? If you mean who I think you mean, that'll be Mounya and Yiolanda. I think they were best mates rather than
twins. And they were gorgeous! I'd imagine they still are. Are they still presenting on Nickelodeon these days?

I had a massive, huge crush on Yiolanda (on the left in that pic) back in 1995! Hopelessly infatuated I was!