Yet another Morrisons thread

Nick Harvey
God

Jamez wrote:People in Britain are generally stupid and will think it's a well-known fast food restaurant.
Or quite a wide road that ought to be extremely fast, but is actually about as slow as the service at a Morrison's pharmacy.
Johnny

fusionlad wrote:Well here it is... :?

Absolute shyte, why do all these graphic design companies coem up with such crap logos all the time, do they just wait till the last day before they even attemp to redesign it & the money the charge for these new logos are stupidly high.

Then again if these companies will pay £3million plus for a new logo then more fool them.

BTW how much did the Morrisons rebrand cost?
Johnny

Harry Hill : "What is it about people that repair shoes that makes them so good at cutting keys? Try going in there with a shoe shaped like a key and see how confused they get."
rdobbie

Johnny wrote:Absolute shyte, why do all these graphic design companies coem up with such crap logos all the time, do they just wait till the last day before they even attemp to redesign it & the money the charge for these new logos are stupidly high.

Then again if these companies will pay £3million plus for a new logo then more fool them.

In defence of whichever agency came up with this, I can pretty much guarantee they would have presented Morrisons with a wide range of new logos and branding ideas which would have greatly impressed us if we'd seen them.

The blame for this new logo lies squarely with Sir Ken or whoever's in charge of Morrisons nowadays, who would have decided that he knew better than the combined talents of everyone who worked for the design agency.

Unfortunately some people are scared of change and unable to place their trust in design agencies. They can not accept that the judgement of the agency, no matter how accomplished it may be, is better than their own personal judgement.

You also get very egotistical people in these organisations who want to leave some kind of personal imprint on the company, putting two fingers up at common sense and the sound advice of others (hence a Pie Shop in every Morrisons). And I'm afraid this new logo smacks of egotistical old man who sneers at anything modern.

I've worked for so many clients like that over my career, and consequently much of the best work I've ever done has never seen the light of day. It's soul destroying for a designer when it happens. You just want to say to the client: "Why the hell did you come to an agency when you already knew exactly what you wanted? Why didn't you just buy an Apple Mac and do it your f***ing self?"

Agreed that this logo is on a par with the old Gateway logo of the 1980s. It's just not worth spending any money on replacing bad with bad on all their signage and vehicle livery etc (if that is their intention).

I suppose we shouldn't be surprised though - this was the company that hastily eradicated the excellent Safeway branding and its entire portfolio of own brand products in favour of cheap tat.
Gavin Scott
Admin

rdobbie wrote:I've worked for so many clients like that over my career, and consequently much of the best work I've ever done has never seen the light of day. It's soul destroying for a designer when it happens.
*little impressed noise*

I'd like to see some of your design work - although I suppose you probably can't do that due to client confidentiality.

I'd like it nonetheless.
Johnny

rdobbie wrote:
Johnny wrote:Absolute shyte, why do all these graphic design companies coem up with such crap logos all the time, do they just wait till the last day before they even attemp to redesign it & the money the charge for these new logos are stupidly high.

In defence of whichever agency came up with this, I can pretty much guarantee they would have presented Morrisons with a wide range of new logos and branding ideas which would have greatly impressed us if we'd seen them.

The blame for this new logo lies squarely with Sir Ken or whoever's in charge of Morrisons nowadays, who would have decided that he knew better than the combined talents of everyone who worked for the design agency.

Unfortunately some people are scared of change and unable to place their trust in design agencies. They can not accept that the judgement of the agency, no matter how accomplished it may be, is better than their own personal judgement.

You also get very egotistical people in these organisations who want to leave some kind of personal imprint on the company, putting two fingers up at common sense and the sound advice of others (hence a Pie Shop in every Morrisons). And I'm afraid this new logo smacks of egotistical old man who sneers at anything modern.

I've worked for so many clients like that over my career, and consequently much of the best work I've ever done has never seen the light of day. It's soul destroying for a designer when it happens. You just want to say to the client: "Why the hell did you come to an agency when you already knew exactly what you wanted? Why didn't you just buy an Apple Mac and do it your f***ing self?"

Agreed that this logo is on a par with the old Gateway logo of the 1980s. It's just not worth spending any money on replacing bad with bad on all their signage and vehicle livery etc (if that is their intention).

I suppose we shouldn't be surprised though - this was the company that hastily eradicated the excellent Safeway branding and its entire portfolio of own brand products in favour of cheap tat.
:oops: Very big apologies, I should have realised it would be the idiots running the company that choose the bad designs & not the designers themselves.

Unfortunately the media (Daily Mail) likes to say that a design company charged this much for this, not taking into effect that they more than likely had better ideas.

I would like to see some of your designs though just to see what could have been, if you can show them though without any legal problems of course :)
Johnny

Harry Hill : "What is it about people that repair shoes that makes them so good at cutting keys? Try going in there with a shoe shaped like a key and see how confused they get."
Spencer For Hire

If it's of interest, here's the official press release.

'Fresh for you every day' is the new slogan.

The new logo strikes me as a hugely wasted opportunity to bring the supermarket up to date. Having said that, the current logo looks very 80s, whilst the previous one looked much more 70s... so kind of in the right direction if nothing else. ;)
Stuart*
Banned

I think we are forgetting the enormous cost of upating livery and buildings. It was obvious that yellow was going to be in there somwhere. After all:
:arrow: Tesco is always blue
:arrow: Sainsburys is always Orange
:arrow: M&S always green
not matter how much you change the font/logo etc you have to stick to something of the original.

Morrisons will've had a cost study done on the relative designs in terms of changes to the estate and fleet. This revamp must be costing them a fortune, and a somewhat repetitive experience for them considering the "Morrison-ising" of stores they have only just converted from Safeway.
User removed
Spencer For Hire

StuartPlymouth wrote::arrow: Sainsburys is always Orange
Of course it hasn't always been that way...

They managed to ditch the black and yellow, so I'm sure Morrisons could manage the same.

Having said that, it was still a process of evolution for Sainsbury's to get from that to where we are today. IIRC, they dropped the 'J' from that logo and added the ''s', then the lettering went orange, and then finally the current font was introduced.

Hopefully Morrisons' revamp will be the start of an ongoing process of updating its image... but I guess that's wishful thinking.
Stuart*
Banned

Spencer For Hire wrote:Of course it hasn't always been that way...
I think that may be an atypical sign Spencer. I recall the first "J Sainsbury" we had in Wilmslow must've been in about 1980 and their signage was similar but most definately with an orange hint and white background.

Nevertheless, they have stuck to the orange (in varying hues) during the evolution to "Sainsbury's". Another one I forgot was Walmart-Asda, who retain the white/green logo.

There weren't many other colours for Morrisons to go for really, although I don't think the "light green/yellow" has sufficient contrast for street media (such as bus stop posters) from a distance.

The only other primary colour left must be red which I don't think a major chain uses yet - although M&S still go through phases of the maroon bags during the christmas season IIRC.
User removed
Jovis

Spencer For Hire wrote:Of course it hasn't always been that way...
My local Sainsbury's still has that signage, all over the outside. There's no 'modern' signage anywhere on the outside of the store.
Stuart*
Banned

Jovis wrote:My local Sainsbury's still has that signage, all over the outside. There's no 'modern' signage anywhere on the outside of the store.
Oh dear, is Jovis-World somewhere int he Outer Hebrides, or maybe deepest Cornwall :lol:
User removed