Yet another Morrisons thread

Gavin Scott
Admin

scottishtv wrote:Anyway, they've annoyed me with what they've done to the Edinburgh store - "Your M&S" doesn't lend itself to outdoor store signage very well as it's too short and a bit daft.
The main "M&S" sign on the newly-finished Princes Street store looks a bit odd, doesn't it? Because its so short it just seems to look a bit stranded stuck on that long black fascia.

I quite like that big picture of Twiggy in the window. That would look good in my hallway.

Yeesh, I'm so gay.
tvmercia

StuartPlymouth wrote:
all new Phil wrote:Gibraltar is one of those places I have always fancied visiting, I don't know why, probably just out of curiosity. I think the thought of a Morrisons in a different country is more exciting than I can put into words!
Gibraltar is certainly an experience not to be missed. It's like a little bit of the UK in southern Europe; it's actually now part of our constituency for EU Parliamentary elections (South West England).

The police all have UK style uniforms, the phone boxes are all like the old style red ones (well they were when I visited), the currency looks very similar to UK coins and banknotes. Walking down the main street is very similar to any High Street in the UK, with many recognisable names. The only difference is the noticable heat, and the fact that every so often you can see a plane landing at the top of the road - the runway crosses the top of the main road!. To enter Gibraltar from Spain you have to walk or drive across the runway.
i was extraordinarily excited to see a branch of barclays in spain, even more so when i had reason to go in. it was just like a real barclays - but all in spanish, with spanish people, spanish signs and everything. it was just a desk plonked in the middle of it with one woman behind it - no counters or owt.

*expects to be whipped by phil for going off topic*
Pete

scottishtv wrote:"Your M&S" doesn't lend itself to outdoor store signage very well as it's too short and looks a bit daft. Also, how dare they relegate the former great sandwich shop at street level to two small fridges in the basement.
they have "your m&s" on the sign? Dundee only has M&S.
Surely they haven't completely got rid of the sandwhich shop? Have they got rid of the coffee and tea counter too? That's insane. Newcastle has a Food To Go bar which is like an even posher version of the edinburgh sandwhich shop, I'd have thought they'd have got one of those.

Oh and the full name is still used on products in the
Marks &
Spencer

stacked style, although they've changed to the thinner font as used in the Your logo.
StuartPlymouth wrote:
Hymagumba wrote:I have some news btw, I fear if I reveal it however I might be shunned and forced to leave the forum :(
What is your news then Hyma. I'm sure you won't be shunned or exiled because of your revelation (even if it's that you have found Maddy).
My news is..... I went to the all-new Morrisons in Dundee, and loved it!

It's one of these ones with the focus on fresh food. The entire meat counter is all cut at the market street butchers and there is one of those sandwhich bars and a safeway style pizzeria.

The shop itself is fantastic in its layout, the wooden wineracks and illuminated beer signs are particularly fab, and the tills are trimmed with green rather than the manky red and have a zero bags policy, the checkout person has to hand you bags so you can't waste the things.

Mr Hyma (who had never been to a non-safeway morrisons) was in awe at the bananas in particular.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Nick Harvey
God

Hymagumba wrote:Mr Hyma (who had never been to a non-safeway morrisons) was in awe at the bananas in particular.
Did you want to slightly re-phrase that, before anyone who's been here quite a while possibly gets the wrong impression?
Pete

Nick Harvey wrote:
Hymagumba wrote:Mr Hyma (who had never been to a non-safeway morrisons) was in awe at the bananas in particular.
Did you want to slightly re-phrase that, before anyone who's been here quite a while possibly gets the wrong impression?
No, I think it's just fine as it is.
Pete

oh a question for any morrisons team members. I noticed a girl going around the store the other day collecting waste food with a pen and paper. Surely this is not the actual system? In M&S we scan things on little handheld terminals and transmit them back to the computer.
Sput

I assume she uses the pen to spear the waste and the paper as a crude recepticle? M&S is way ahead.
Knight knight
Chris J

scottishtv wrote:
martindtanderson wrote:Speaking of supermarket re-brands, here is the evolution of Marks & Spencer...

Sorry Martin, but you'll never see that third variation on any products or signage.
The third version, 'MARKS & SPENCER' written in full, is used on the new signage outside the store in Brighton city centre. Looks quite nice, too.
nwtv2003

Hymagumba wrote:oh a question for any morrisons team members. I noticed a girl going around the store the other day collecting waste food with a pen and paper. Surely this is not the actual system? In M&S we scan things on little handheld terminals and transmit them back to the computer.
If it was for waste, then yes that is the procedure, all waste has to be written onto a daily Waste sheet, one for each department and then that is handed back to the Administration department and they feed it in the Computers upstairs.

Last I heard things were getting changed and upgraded, in our store we're using a mix of PC's that are over ten years old, a mix of state of the art Dell PC's and no photocopier.

Staff are finally allowed to use their swipe discount cards from tomorrow, 10% off everything except Cigarettes, Lottery, Petrol and some lines of Baby food. We've had a discount system for a while now, it was 12.5% off non-food items, but you had to write it down on a sheet, get a supervisor or manager to sign it and then get your money back in 6 weeks. But all change from tomorrow, thank heaven.

We're still behind with other supermarkets with things like this, but so far everything we've had since the relaunch looks far better and more promising.
steve
Pete

nwtv2003 wrote:Staff are finally allowed to use their swipe discount cards from tomorrow, 10% off everything except Cigarettes, Lottery, Petrol and some lines of Baby food. We've had a discount system for a while now, it was 12.5% off non-food items, but you had to write it down on a sheet, get a supervisor or manager to sign it and then get your money back in 6 weeks. But all change from tomorrow, thank heaven.
sorry, i've just reread this. morrisons had to discount for staff off their food until last month?
nwtv2003

Hymagumba wrote:
nwtv2003 wrote:Staff are finally allowed to use their swipe discount cards from tomorrow, 10% off everything except Cigarettes, Lottery, Petrol and some lines of Baby food. We've had a discount system for a while now, it was 12.5% off non-food items, but you had to write it down on a sheet, get a supervisor or manager to sign it and then get your money back in 6 weeks. But all change from tomorrow, thank heaven.
sorry, i've just reread this. morrisons had to discount for staff off their food until last month?
Yep that is right, the new discount is better, works better with the offers, such as Frijj milkshakes, 3 for 90p! :D

The new look is slowly being phased through Nationwide apparently, but all the signs will be like the newer stores such as Speke.
steve