Yet another Morrisons thread

thegeek

I like what they're trying to do, but it's not *quite* right. Plain packaging is fine, but the text ought to stand out a bit more. The Canadians have the right idea:

Alexia

What happens if you eat those biscuits on your own? Without tea?
thegeek

You have to spend the rest of your life apologising.
steveboswell

Off-topic, but No Name are responsible for perhaps one of the best examples of nothing being lost in translation:

Philip

The new TV ad is… interesting.

Critique

Oooh yes, near where I used to live around a year ago a Family Shopper (a Booker brand)/BP petrol station became a Morrisons Daily. I've not been in but apparently it's a lot nicer than it had been under previous fascias (before becoming a Family Shopper it was a Snax24 and then a Mace) - there's some form of bakery (presumably frozen stuff heated up). Looks quite nice from the outside. Shame all the BP stuff has been the same for about 15 years and so looks quite old and faded, down to the unleaded/diesel totem still being physical numbers that they have to change each day!
woah

There's a couple round here, they're pretty good actually but you can still tell they're a franchise from some of the shelf labels, EPOS systems and the usual weird petrol station junk on sale. Having a Morrisons range is nice but the deals aren't always the same as the main stores - for example the meal deal is more limited and costs 50p more.

Certainly beats the usual petrol smaller station stores like Mace or Hursts.
Nick Harvey
God

MarkAshley wrote:Anybody else come across a Morrisons Daily?
One here in Devizes, just up the road from a main Morrisons store.

Interestingly, it's an Esso station, so you use your Tesco Clubcard for the petrol.

I've not bought anything else, so don't know if you use your More card for the grocery stuff.
james2001

Hopefully it will have more success than M Local did.
Philip

It's been going for a year and a bit: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2919&p=124535&hilit=m+local#p124535
thegeek

thegeek wrote: Sat 11 Jul, 2015 15.31 our local M local has a week of trading to go. It's a bit of a sad sight at the moment: the top and bottom shelves have been emptied, the fridges are half-empty, and they're basically only restocking fresh items.

The one cashier left seemed to think that the Co-op were taking over a job lot of the convenience stores, though I can't see any news of that online.
Nearly three years on, and the unit is still sitting empty. It's a shame that the Co-op didn't take it on, as they've been opening a few other branches locally, so the distribution network isn't a problem. Maybe it's just too close to a supermarket-sized Tesco for anyone else to consider taking on.

I do wonder who's paying the rent - I've found a PDF of the property details on the Savills website, but it doesn't seem to be being actively marketed. It wouldn't still be Morrisons on the lease, would it?