Yet another Morrisons thread

nwtv2003

Warrington's Sainsbury's used to have that signage too, even though they extended and revamped the store in 1999 or so, they brought up a new version of the 'J.Sainsbury' sign, although it was quickly changed to Sainsbury's as me and you know it.

Anyway talking about dated in Runcorn's 'Shopping City' they have a Tesco Metro that still displays the 1970's signage from the outside, just a simple 70's font declaring 'TESCO' and nothing else to it.

A note from Head Office has been despatched to Morrisons stores and staff and says the same thing about the Press Release, but the only thing new on it is that the advertising and implentation of the new logo will probably start in July or so. And not all staff and departments will be getting new uniforms, talk about consistency eh?

And we all have to watch a Video about it at some point soon too.
steve
Katnap

The small branch of Sainsbury's in Leicester city centre still had ancient 80s decor and the old slogan "Good Food Costs Less at Sainsbury's" on the wall near the checkouts, although it's been three or four years since I was last down there so I don't know if that's still the case.
What the fuck is a samoflange?
Jovis

Actually, thinking about it, there is a Tesco near me that still has ancient signage too.
Johnny

StuartPlymouth wrote:
Spencer For Hire wrote:Of course it hasn't always been that way...
I think that may be an atypical sign Spencer. I recall the first "J Sainsbury" we had in Wilmslow must've been in about 1980 and their signage was similar but most definately with an orange hint and white background.

Nevertheless, they have stuck to the orange (in varying hues) during the evolution to "Sainsbury's". Another one I forgot was Walmart-Asda, who retain the white/green logo.

There weren't many other colours for Morrisons to go for really, although I don't think the "light green/yellow" has sufficient contrast for street media (such as bus stop posters) from a distance.

The only other primary colour left must be red which I don't think a major chain uses yet - although M&S still go through phases of the maroon bags during the christmas season IIRC.
Tesco's old logo used to be all red, the blue I think was added in the late 80's, unfortunately I can't find any old Tesco logos at the moment to show this.

Actually, Kwik Save is red:

I actually thought they dissapeared years ago, but as this stores link shows they don't seem to have a single chain in London

http://www.kwiksave.co.uk/list_of_stores.htm
Johnny

Harry Hill : "What is it about people that repair shoes that makes them so good at cutting keys? Try going in there with a shoe shaped like a key and see how confused they get."
Jovis

Gosh, do I live in some old shop museum or something? Until a year or two ago, we had a Kwik-Save, complete with yellow branding, just down the road. My goodness it was cheap, and tacky. Its still there, with no new owner, though all the old branding has been whited out with that stuff they use on windows of old shops when they don't want you to see in. Its like paint. Maybe it is paint, I don't know, I've never investigated.
nwtv2003

I never really liked Kwik Save, but saying that Warrington had four of them! Now we only have one, one just closed, one was demolished and replaced with a Co-Operative and one was converted into a Somerfield.
steve
Katnap

My local Kwiksave (which was once my local Sainsburys until they moved to a brand new building many years ago) is now a Somerfield. A vast improvement, really. It now looks like a bright and welcoming supermarket, rather than a dingy hovel.

Where I live, we've got a Sainsburys, an Iceland and the aforementioned Somerfield. Plus, they've just started work on a new Lidl and work will shortly commence on a new Tesco (of which there are already two, plus a Tesco Express within a fifteen minute drive). Which will make five supermarkets in an area less than 500 metres squared. Talk about overkill.
What the fuck is a samoflange?
ThePotato

My local Kwik Save moved from a tiny (and I mean *tiny*) store wth aisles just barely big enough for one trolley at a time (thus creating the interesting side-effect of a mini one-way system round the store) to a re-developed shopping precinct cum mall cum retail park and a spanking new store.

There were two problems:

1) Whilst being a vast vast improvement on the old store, it still looked dated, tired and dingy inside.

2) There's a lovely Tesco just next door to it and there was no way the Kwik Save could compete on any level; service, decor, choice or anything else. Just two years after it had moved, it was gone. Nothing has since replaced it.
Stuart*
Banned

Johnny wrote:Actually, Kwik Save is red:

I exculded them from my list as they had been bought out by Somerfield (Yellow and Green) :shock:
User removed
7 Network

Johnny wrote: Tesco's old logo used to be all red, the blue I think was added in the late 80's, unfortunately I can't find any old Tesco logos at the moment to show this.
Jamez
Banned

I don't think Kwik Save will be around for much longer. It's in deep financial difficulty due to the general population wanting to keep up with the Joneses, and preferring to spend that bit more in places like Tesco and Sainsbury's.

I find Asda to be the nicest supermarket. They have 3 very nice stores in Cardiff - the one at J32/M4 is massive. It has a huge first-floor café and eatery along with a huge choice of George branded clothes - which aren't too bad, actually!

Although I get the majority of my clothes off the internet or H&M.
User Removed