Yet another Morrisons thread

bilky asko

rdobbie wrote: Wed 25 Aug, 2021 04.34 Morrisons receipts are still inexplicably featuring the More Card points balance which became null and void on 9 May 2021 when points ceased to be awarded.

It must be an irritating reminder to people who were just shy of hitting the 5k redemption threshold when the axe fell.
If anyone was due a voucher or vouchers, it was originally available to print until 9th August - however, it was later extended until 30th August (presumably, in large part, to cover those on the Christmas voucher save-up scheme). Once that date comes and goes, presumably the points will then disappear from the receipt.
Martin Phillp

US equity firm Clayton, Dubilier & Rice won the auction to acquire Morrisons.

https://news.sky.com/story/morrisons-us ... t-12423755
TVF's London Lite.
JAS84

My local branch of McColl's closes down on Wednesday, reopening eight days later as a Morrisons Daily. Apparently that's happening nationwide, they plan to convert 350 stores in the next 14 months.
https://www.conveniencestore.co.uk/your ... 00.article
Pete

JAS84 wrote: Sun 03 Oct, 2021 12.30 My local branch of McColl's closes down on Wednesday, reopening eight days later as a Morrisons Daily. Apparently that's happening nationwide, they plan to convert 350 stores in the next 14 months.
How does McColls work? is it a symbol brand or are they centrally owned? Also if more things move over to the Morrisons Daily fascia where does that leave the Safeway product range?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
WillPS

Pete wrote: Sun 03 Oct, 2021 15.02
JAS84 wrote: Sun 03 Oct, 2021 12.30 My local branch of McColl's closes down on Wednesday, reopening eight days later as a Morrisons Daily. Apparently that's happening nationwide, they plan to convert 350 stores in the next 14 months.
How does McColls work? is it a symbol brand or are they centrally owned? Also if more things move over to the Morrisons Daily fascia where does that leave the Safeway product range?
McColls is an owned group. They've expanded through acquisitions, notably Martins and Forbuoys and recently just short of 300 Co-op Group stores.

They are effectively moving their larger stores (including most/all of those Co-op acquisitions) to a symbol brand arrangement with Morrisons, which on one level seems pretty odd with a chain of their size, but then McColls shops tend to be pretty grim so perhaps they just don't have the knowledge/confidence to do something like that themselves.

Presumably the Safeway branded stuff will continue to be used in the other 900 or so McColls locations.

Incidentally it seems McColls themselves have rebranded recently:
https://www.mccolls.co.uk/blog/post/mcc ... ommunities
(expired SSL cert)
Martin Phillp

Is this another attempt by Morrisons to get into the convivence store market, but using McColl's shops and presumably staff?
TVF's London Lite.
WillPS

Martin Phillp wrote: Sat 16 Oct, 2021 14.33 Is this another attempt by Morrisons to get into the convivence store market, but using McColl's shops and presumably staff?
No. It's a play to create a wholesale line of business, with the aim of expanding the group's buying power through economies of scale.

It's more like Tesco/Booker and Co-op/Nisa, except via expansion rather than acquisition.
Pete

So where does this leave the Safeway range?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
WillPS

Pete wrote: Mon 18 Oct, 2021 08.17 So where does this leave the Safeway range?
In McColls. Same as now.
rdobbie

A review of the new "Market Kitchen" concept in a Leeds branch of Morrisons - basically lots of funky street food hot takeaway counters.

It certainly looks exciting, and the graphics on the signage are fantastic, but there's no way I can see anything like this going national because of the staffing costs (even the pizza counter in my Morrisons "store of the future" - serving a town with a 62k population - now closes at 4pm).

I'm reminded of a previous Morrisons innovation which later proved to be a failed experiment or a publicity stunt - the machines that sprayed a fine mist over vegetables like eddoe and cassava, that nobody had ever heard of.
woah

It's not a brand new concept - there is also one in Manchester near Piccadilly Square and I know of at least one other in London, at Wood Green in Haringey.

It does look great, but I can't see it being rolled out anywhere except busy urban areas where there is enough footfall to keep it busy - especially at lunchtime.