Yet another Morrisons thread

Johnny

Spencer For Hire wrote:
rdobbie wrote:
Andrew wrote:Although they do need to get rid of that outdated font, I hope they don't go with some ultramodern but will look dated logo that loads of companies rebrand with thesedays

'morrisons' in lower type, coloured purple with some dodgy punctuation added in for good measure etc
Agreed. Even the current Sainsbury's logo (about 7 years old?) is starting to date badly IMO because the typeface is too stylised.

I think Morrisons would be best off going for a text-only logo in a very clean and timeless font like the Waitrose logo.
According to telegraph.co.uk, the revamp is [hideously overused and irritating cliche alert!] "evolution not revolution", so I wouldn't expect anything too different or radical.
It'll probably be blue & yellow as opposed to black & yellow
Johnny

Harry Hill : "What is it about people that repair shoes that makes them so good at cutting keys? Try going in there with a shoe shaped like a key and see how confused they get."
James Martin

They'd have probably been better running two tiers of shop, the downmarket Pie-based Morrisons for the North, and the affulent, upmarket Safeway for the south.
Stuart*
Banned

James Martin wrote:They'd have probably been better running two tiers of shop, the downmarket Pie-based Morrisons for the North, and the affulent, upmarket Safeway for the south.
That's one of the most stupid, stereo-typical and insulting comments I have have ever read on this forum. Do you actually think before you type?

I suppose you think everyone north of Leicestershire in England wears clogs while walking down cobbled streets, have wippets as pets and say "eee-by-gum" at least 40 times a day. You probably also think all Scottish people wear kilts and carry a set of bagpipes!

What a shallow self-obsessed little bubble you seem to live in! You should get out more (preferably for a long time).

PS: I never once heard of the Safeway being described as "up-market"
James Martin

Sir Ken himself admitted intregating Safeway was "painful" because Morrisons was a company "with brutal and simplistic Northern values."

Why do you think Safeway didn't do pies?

Safeway was targeted at ABC1 whilst Morrisons was targeted at C2DE. Whilst Morrisons is extremely popular in the North, the Southerners won't take to pies and downmarket stuff quite as easily.
Stuart*
Banned

James Martin wrote:Sir Ken himself admitted intregating Safeway was "painful" because Morrisons was a company "with brutal and simplistic Northern values."

Safeway was targeted at ABC1 whilst Morrisons was targeted at C2DE. Whilst Morrisons is extremely popular in the North, the Southerners won't take to pies and downmarket stuff quite as easily.
You haven't explained your assertion that "northern values" equate in any way to downmarket. I'm sure Sir Ken Morrison was referring to northern traditions of blatent integrity and honesty rather than labelling his customer base as "downmarket.

Since moving to Plymouth 10 years ago I certainly didn't notice an absence of pies in my local Safeway as opposed to the Morrisons in Stockton-on-Tees I previously used. But then again you probably think everyone in Devon & Cornwall eats pasties as their staple diet when surfacing from the tin mines?

Of course Morrisons is popular in the north of England, that's the only place they had a presense until 2 years ago. It's like saying the "Plymouth Evening Herald" is hugely unpopular in Manchester just because it isn't sold there.

You really need to think through the logic of your thoughts before making a fool of yourself and putting them on the net.

There is a great difference between promoting discussion (as most people here do) and insulting fellow members to incite a response. This isn't your personal replacement for failing to become a "shock jock", you are just ruining the pleasure others take in the forum.
James Martin

Morrisons isn't popular down South though as it doesn't "reflect" that part of the country.

I can't totally define it but the culture and ambience of the Morrisons product is very Northern. No-one can deny that fact.
Stuart*
Banned

James Martin wrote:Morrisons isn't popular down South though as it doesn't "reflect" that part of the country.

I can't totally define it but the culture and ambience of the Morrisons product is very Northern. No-one can deny that fact.
But the point is you did attempt to, with the intelligence a 2-year old would be ashamed of.

Obviously as a company based in the North of England they engineered their image to capture their target market. They would've been foolish to do otherwise. Product range, quality and price were why they no doubt became successful. I'm sure M&S operate different marketing policies in their overseas stores.

Morrisons is new to the South of England & Scotland. I would have been totally amazed if they got it right first time. I am not a fan of Morrisons, but I despise bigots and people who rule their lives by narrow-minded opinions based on nothing more than something they probably made up themselves.
Johnny

Not trying to take it off topic here but I have had Northern people accuse me of being a rich bastard because I live in London, trust me half of London is very poor indeed, especially seeing as half of the London Borough's are corrupt.

However to generalise regions is a bit dated now especially seeing as there are alot of Northerners in London & the South East and vice versa
Johnny

Harry Hill : "What is it about people that repair shoes that makes them so good at cutting keys? Try going in there with a shoe shaped like a key and see how confused they get."
nidave

James Martin wrote:Sir Ken himself admitted intregating Safeway was "painful" because Morrisons was a company "with brutal and simplistic Northern values."

That says more about Sir Kens attatude than the people of the North. Not all people in the North are the same just like all the people in the south are not annoying seryptypical London centric idiots. :D
Katnap

Northener...Southener... Where does all this leave Midlanders? Neither here nor there, being both and yet neither. *sigh*
Stuart*
Banned

Katnap wrote:Northener...Southener... Where does all this leave Midlanders? Neither here nor there, being both and yet neither. *sigh*
You mean the annoying ones with "brummy accents" we try to run over by swerving off Spaghetti Junction ??? I jest, of course! :lol:

Regionalism has become a thing of the past in the last 30 years. There was a time when the vast majority of the population would apparently be born, work and die within a six mile radius.

With the increase in further education many people move away from their "roots" and often stay there, or are more willing to set up where their job takes them rather than remain tied to the family's location.

Maybe that is a sad progression, as it says little about the value we place on family bonds. But in reality I see and speak to my Sister on MSN at least twice a week. She is 300 miles away, but I doubt I would have that contact with her if I was still living within a short driving distance.

Getting back to the point - I come across very few people here in Plymouth who are actually from here. Many are former students who stayed on after Uni, many have come here because of work.

When I lived in the North-East you couldn't go outside without hearing the dialect....in Plymouth I rarely hear the local accent at all. Perhaps even the locals have become cosmopolitan?
User removed