Yet another Morrisons thread

JAS84

Whataday

Quite an interesting take on him here:

http://www.groceryinsight.com/blog/2017 ... n-tribute/
sqwidge1978

Received email to day re a Morrisons community group run by Morriosns find it strange how the My View logo is based on Morrisons old logo and sits alongside the ñew logo.

WillPS

Looks sort of like what I imagined the My Local logo was going to look like.
rdobbie

Time for a waffle/whinge about the current state of my nearest Morrisons, which is (or was) a "store of the future" that opened in 2013.

About 6 months ago the store underwent some changes, most notably the installation of a metal barrier and pedestrian entry gates slicing across what used to be the large open-plan area at the front of the store, where the misting machine once ensured the cassava and eddo stayed hydrated in case anyone ever bought them.

The whole "first impression" of the store has thus changed considerably, from something rather cosmopolitan to a cheap and nasty 1980s "tin can" supermarket.

I thought that Morrisons had scrapped pedestrian entry gates 12 years ago, with all the other major supermarkets doing so even earlier. (I don't even know why they existed in the first place - are they meant to be a psychological deterrent towards shoplifters, like those lifesize cardboard policemen?). It just seems odd to reintroduce them; they seem to go against the whole feel of a modern welcoming store.

On the petrol station they changed the illuminated canopy edging and price tower to display the new logo but the sides of the petrol pumps still have vinyl stickers with the old logo, even though the cost of updated stickers would have been miniscule compared to the things they did update. Inexplicable and very annoying. Stick to the British tradition with half-arsed supermarket revamps (M&S and Tesco will lend you the rulebook): change the cheap stuff and leave the expensive stuff alone - don't do it the other way round.

So, it's a 4 year old store that's already a mish-mash of different branding and a confused ambiance that draws on elements of both Waitrose and Kwik Save.

The olive/antipasti bar has also disappeared, and the closing time of the create-your-own pizza counter has gradually become earlier and earlier - the "Sorry we're now closed for the day" sign now goes up at 5.00pm while the store is busy (used to be 7.30pm). Genius, absolute genius. Let's disappoint all our evening customers in typical office jobs by dangling a popular facility in front of them, but not letting them use it. All for the sake of saving the cost of a couple of hours' wages for one member of staff.
bilky asko

Funnily enough, my local Morrisons has just gained an Olive bar for the first time, along with a replacement for the smashed after two weeks CCTV screen, and a layout for the self service conveyor checkouts that no longer makes one unusable.

The Free From refrigerated section with doors somehow makes it look like they take cross-contamination more seriously.
all new Phil

rdobbie wrote: Tue 07 Feb, 2017 02.37 The olive/antipasti bar has also disappeared, and the closing time of the create-your-own pizza counter has gradually become earlier and earlier - the "Sorry we're now closed for the day" sign now goes up at 5.00pm while the store is busy (used to be 7.30pm). Genius, absolute genius. Let's disappoint all our evening customers in typical office jobs by dangling a popular facility in front of them, but not letting them use it. All for the sake of saving the cost of a couple of hours' wages for one member of staff.
I've never understood this. I finish work at 5 (which usually ends up being more like 6) and go to Morrisons afterwards. The store is always busy yet, as you say, the pizza counter is always in the process of closing, the deli counter is usually having paper placed over everything, the butcher tends to be packing everything up - yet the store is open until 11. Surely it's all us full time workers that come in the evening that will spend money on this stuff, and not the pensioners that go in the day?
Philip

A pizza counter that closes at 5pm is ludicrous.
thegeek

rdobbie wrote: Tue 07 Feb, 2017 02.37I thought that Morrisons had scrapped pedestrian entry gates 12 years ago, with all the other major supermarkets doing so even earlier. (I don't even know why they existed in the first place - are they meant to be a psychological deterrent towards shoplifters, like those lifesize cardboard policemen?). It just seems odd to reintroduce them; they seem to go against the whole feel of a modern welcoming store.
Let me have a quick rummage in the archives...

This is from 2006. It's the reverse of the 'Welcome' sign above the entry gates at Morrisons at Wood Green. I'm pretty sure it was still there a couple of years later when I moved out of the area.

My local Asda still has gates too, though I think the Tesco doesn't. It's only fairly recently that they got rid of the narrow anti-trolley-theft bollards from the front of the store though.
woah

Morrisons seem to be expanding their Morrisons Daily convenience store format at petrol stations, though I'm not sure if it's run as a franchise or directly by Morrisons themselves.

One's popped up here in Sheffield at a Texaco - it was actually a Co-op up until around September 2016 (new build as a Somerfield in 2007), then became a Spar and got a full Spar refit shortly thereafter. Not even 6 months after that, it's had another full makeover with the entire store painted in the not very fetching green they've used for the branding on these stores.
WillPS

Yes - I had a leaflet pushed through my door this morning for that very branch. I live over 2 miles away from it, and in order to get there I would have to pass a much larger Asda supermarket and a Lidl. Very optimistic expecting I might go there to get a 1.75l bottle of Coke.